cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone switch

Burkemtb3
Joining in

Like many Virgin customers I am unable to accept a simple connection of my phone to a router.

The router is situated in my home office as the Wi Fi signal is so weak it reaches very little of the rest of the house (a constant source of irritation with Virgin). It cannot be moved from that office as it would make my office unusable. At the same time the phone port for our Dec base phone is in the lounge, and is connected to the house input box directly on the other side of the wall. It is also highly impractical to utilise the base phone unit in the office as the householders would have to constantly access the office to check if there were any calls which runs the risk of important calls being missed.

We are also situated in a relatively small village which has regular issues with Virgin connections, mobile coverage and power cuts, which makes it an even more inconvenient.

I see constant compromises made by consumers, but little sign of customer consideration by Virgin. There must be other options?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Burkemtb3, 

Thanks again for coming back to me here. 

Have you received a letter advising the date the switchover will be? If so, what date is this place?

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use a telephone extension wire and put the landline phone wherever you want to run the cable to, or you could buy a better wireless handsets that shows if there are any calls on all handsets not just the base

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Burkemtb3 wrote:

Like many Virgin customers I am unable to accept a simple connection of my phone to a router.

<snip>

I see constant compromises made by consumers, but little sign of customer consideration by Virgin. There must be other options?

Has your phone connection been switched yet or is it pending?

If it is pending, get VM to link your existing internal extension sockets to the hub's phone connection as part of the switchover process. They should offer this FOC as part of the switchover but you need to request it.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone

Alternatively, most cordless DECT phones allow the satellite phones to control answering machine functions and show missed calls etc. so your base station should be able to plug into the hub and still be controlled from elsewhere (maybe with the addition of a further handset if required).

Unfortunately, all providers are going this same route and with the same date deadline in mind so the change is coming to everyone whether we like it or not.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Burkemtb3, 

Thanks for taking the time to post about your concerns with the home phone switchover. 
We recognise that some people will have some concerns but this is something that is happening with all providers and not just Virgin Media. 

When you are informed about when your area will be being switched over, you can speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 to discuss your needs. We can arrange for an engineer to come out to check extension sockets and there has also been some great advice given above too. 

You can view everything you need to know about the switch over here

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Burkemtb3, 

Thanks for taking the time to contact me via private message. Please only send a private message if we have requested you to. We only use private message when needing to swap account information or personal information. 

Have you been given a date for your home switchover yet? If so, let us know and we can book the engineer appointment for you. 

Keep us posted. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

I haven't been able to book one yet. They said I ciuld only do it tomorrow but I have tried multiple times already.

Hi Burkemtb3, 

Thanks again for coming back to me here. 

Have you received a letter advising the date the switchover will be? If so, what date is this place?

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Any time from tomorrow, but not a specific date.

Hi Burkemtb3, 

I am going to send you a private message to allow me to book an engineer for you then.  Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Burkemtb3, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. We had already finished for the evening when you came back to me and only now I'm back in to pick this up. 

I can see you have called and spoken to the team and they have arranged the visit for you. 

If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team