cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone line not working

pmj101
Joining in

Hi. I have an issue whereby for the last week all I get when trying to make an outbound call is an engaged tone no dial tone. When ringing into the phone the caller just hears a ringing tone. Tried the troubleshoot guide but it does cover this issue. Any idea if it the phone or the land line 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We can arrange an engineer's visit for additional cabling pmj101.

I will pop you over a private message and get this arranged for you. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi pmj101,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that you're currently experiencing issues with your land line and that you have a permanent engaged tone. 

Can we ask if you have the phone plugged in to the master socket on the wall or directly through your hub?

Have you also been able to try an alternative handset to eliminate the equipment, as this may be the cause of the engaged tone?

We would also suggest removing any extension sockets or other equipment you have attached to the line, for example fax machines modems.

Please can you try the above first and we can assist you further.

Kind regards Jodi.

I unplugged all phone from any wall sockets. They were no t connect to the router   I don’t have another phone to try but tried all the phone in the master socket and still an engaged tone when dialling out and no tuning when dialling in.  There is little more I can do 

Many thanks pmj101,

We appreciate you trying for us. Remotely looking from our end, we have located you on our system and it seems that you have been switched over to our new systems whereby you will now use your landline through your router.

We're you not sent notification of this? We would have sent you out an adaptor in the post to convert your landline over from the traditional wall socket to plug directly in to your router. 

For more information about the switchover, you can check the link here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/install-home-phone.

If you still need further assistance with this, please come back to me and I will happily send you over a private message. 

Kind regards Jodi.

Don’t recall an email but have definitely not receive any converter. Plus where my router is it’s impossible to connect my phone directly   How do I get round that issue 

We can arrange an engineer's visit for additional cabling pmj101.

I will pop you over a private message and get this arranged for you. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi pmj101, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information.

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign into My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment, so it is important to reschedule if needed.

Let us know how the appointment goes.

Take care.

Jodi.