Menu
LittleValley
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Handset extension cable

After persistent problems with interference on outgoing calls, the Virgin engineer suggested linking the handset directly to the modem to use VoIP. This seems to have solved the interference problem, but means the handsetis no longer where I want it to be. He confirmed that the existing cable could be replaced with a longer one (I need 16 metres plus), but I forgot to ask his advice about what type of cable I should get. Any advice would be welcomedI !

0 Kudos
goslow
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Handset extension cable

Presumably VM left you with the short adapter lead into the back of the hub to allow you to plug in your telephone (as per example LHS picture below)

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/diagnostics/home-phone-not-working/phone-connected-hub

If you have that adapter, and it works with your phone, you just need a simple extension lead (BT plug goes into the VM hub adapter at one end and a BT socket at the other end of the extension lead to plug the phone in).

You can buy extension lead kits, usually in multiples of 5m. Available from the usual big online suppliers.

Also, have a look through the websites of DIY suppliers such as Toolstation, Homebase, Screwfix etc. and you may be able to pick one up from a local store.

Other alternatives might be to get a local supplier (such as a reputable electrician or independent telecoms installer) to fit a telephone extension socket for you, where you want it.

Alternatively, the simplest method for a phone connection via the VM hub is to use cordless phones. Plug the phone base station into the back of the hub, then use cordless handsets where you want them around the home.

Corey_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Handset extension cable

Thanks for your post and for reaching out to the Community Forums, LittleValley,

Goslow's advice is pretty spot on. If possible, would be to go cordless. We cannot officially advise you on DIY, however other forum members can. We can get this done for your professionally however it is a £99 charge for extensions and rewirings.

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos