cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB5 issue only - I want a Compatible Phone THAT DOESN'T GIVE GHOST CALLS

TF1909
Dialled in

Hello, has anyone got a Hub 5 and not receiving any ghost calls ? (where your Hub5 is sending some sort of signal to your landline and registering this as a missed call - I get 10-20 missed calls per day and sometimes if I don't delete the call list my BT phone fills up and won't take any calls!)

I have a HUB5 and want to find a compatible phone that doesn't show these calls as it is driving me mad.

There is a whole section regarding this and Virgin don't seem to understand the issue or even trying to sort it out, (although it states it is investigating). I just want to get a phone that doesn't give this issue!

Can anyone suggest a phone with model number and they have and not receiving any 'ghost/missed calls'?

Phones below have the problem but the list may be longer. I currently have the BT8600.

• Gigaset C530A Trio Digital Cordless Answer machine
  • BT8600 Advanced Call Blocker
  • BT Decor 2600 v2
  • Panasonic KX-TGJ424EB Digital Cordless Telephone with Nuisance Call Blocker and Answering Machine, Quad Dect
11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The person who comes up with the answer to this will make many people happy on the (currently) 83 page blockbuster topic on the subject.

VM clearly has no intention of resolving the issue with any urgency.

I have wondered whether a standalone trueCall call screening unit between the hub and the phone may do something to mitigate the problem.

The trueCall device can be set up to require the caller to say who they are and press a key on their phone before the call is sent through to the phone. This is the same process as some BT phones with a trueCall 'lite' version built in. Since, however, the trueCall is a separate unit with no caller display, I wonder if the standalone device may act as a buffer for the 'no number calls' and will not send them on to the phone connected to the trueCall output socket.

I have no evidence to back up the above and some on the main topic have mentioned their phones 'hanging' and being unusable after one of the 'no number' calls comes in. The same might also happen to the trueCall unit and put it into a 'hung' condition.

However, if you are desperate to try some options to deal with the problem, it might be worth a try. As I type this, there are trueCall main/general model units on sale on eBay from £9.99.

You would turn off the trueCall lite and answering machine in your existing BT phone and these would be handled by the standalone trueCall.

trueCall support also has the ability to 'dial in' to individual units, if required, and tweak settings to configure them for certain VM landline setups.

Use the above entirely at your own risk as it is nothing more than a theory/suggestion which needs testing by someone to see if it has any merit. It may fail totally to deal with the issue or the standalone trueCall may generate its own set of problems when fed with the 'no number' calls from the Hub 5.

If the trueCall unit didn't resolve the problem, you could always put it back on eBay again!

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi TF1909

Thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums.

I am sorry to hear that there is still an issue with this.

This is an issue which the IT team are aware of and are working on a fix.

Hopefully they will have this resolved soon. 

Kind regards

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Client62
Hero

Hopefully they will have this resolved soon. = Oh la la ... still no ETA on a long list of HUB 5 bloopers.

VOIP Ghost calls are easily prevented by any one of the industry standard precautions:

1) Disable SIP ALG
2) Accept inbound calls only from the registered proxy
3) Avoid use of the default inbound SIP port 5060

Client62_1-1683834636741.png

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

I think you would also need to be careful with any statement along the lines of 'I have xyz phone with a hub 5 and no problems at all'. The person might well be absolutely correct, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the same phone would work with your hub 5!

That’s the real problem. 
The is no definition of what ‘compatible’ is. 

“Some older handsets won’t work”

How old is old?

Knowing what to buy is total guesswork. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@risc19 wrote:

That’s the real problem. 
The is no definition of what ‘compatible’ is. 

“Some older handsets won’t work”

How old is old?

Knowing what to buy is total guesswork. 

The issue on this current topic seems to be a specific problem for the Hub 5.

In general, problems connecting phones to the hub relate to non-ringing for incoming calls (which you have mentioned on your other/own topic). This is often solved by replacing the VM adapter for one with a 'ringing capacitor' inside.

Phones affected by this are generally from the early 2000s, and before. So in terms of 'compatibility' that's a rough rule of thumb as to which model phones are likely to work and which may have problems.

B&O 'Beocom' phones are also mentioned on here quite regularly as not working for incoming calls via the hub. That is the only specific make/model I can recall which is repeatedly mentioned on here as having issues via the hub's phone connection.

TAZMANUK
Knows their stuff

My bt premium phone has truecall built in so buying a new trio system and a separate truecall call screening wouldn't work I don't think, plus I just want then to fix it before contract is up if not we will cancel the phone line

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@TAZMANUK wrote:

My bt premium phone has truecall built in so buying a new trio system and a separate truecall call screening wouldn't work I don't think, plus I just want then to fix it before contract is up if not we will cancel the phone line

I think the key difference might be because two separate units would be in use rather than the trueCall features built into BT phones as an all-in-one unit which contains the caller ID on the phone. The ghost call would have to be processed and sent through by the separate trueCall unit and on to the phone.

The trueCall features within BT phones are minimal/basic compared to the actual trueCall unit and how it can be configured. trueCall does not support or maintain trueCall in BT phones but it can dial in and 'tweak' settings of a standalone unit.

As mentioned above, the suggestion to try a separate trueCall unit is nothing more than speculation should anyone wish to try it, at their own risk/cost, for the price of a second-hand unit on eBay.

On a (tangentially) related topic

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/TrueCall-phones-announce-feature-after-switchover-to...

the OP solved a problem of the phone not screening out (actual) unrecognised calls from ringing through by setting the 'first ring' feature to 'on'. Might also be worth experimenting with that BT phone setting to see if it does anything to help those setups which get the 'ghost' unknown calls since the BT phone was not recognising unknown calls  for the OP post switchover.

In the absence of any help from VM, it is probably worth trying any/all options to see if they do anything to solve/improve the issue of the ghost calls from the Hub 5.

Sorry but that's gobbledygook to most of us - in English please?