cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energency back up line

Jdm42
Joining in

Hi my parents are elderly and have just had engineer in to set up new fibre line as they didn't previously have broadband. They just had tv and phone. When booking the appointment I was asked if they needed emergency back up line if fibre failed. I said they did as don't have mobiles. Dies anyone know how they do this as my parents have said they have new router box for phone line but the engineer didn't mention anything about emergency line. How can I tell if its done???

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The emergency backup line sits between the router and the home phone (requires a corded phone plugged into it in a power cut).

It is battery powered and monitors if the landline is working. If the landline goes down or there is a power cut it allows calls to emergency services only from the corded phone via the mobile network.

Somewhat lengthy discussion about its shortcomings here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Converted-to-digital-line-emergency-backup-kit-faile...

including a photo of the unit at message #7

You may possibly be better off looking at a mobile phone for your parents to use in an emergency.

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out when I visit shortly. 

Cheers

Hi Jdm42,

A warm welcome and thanks for posting on our community forums. As our valued member @goslow has already advised where to look to make sure your parents have had an EBUL fitted, please can you come back to us as soon as you can to make sure this has been done.

If you can't see this, we can arrange for this to be installed. 

For more information regarding this feature, please check the link here.

Kind regards Jodi.