Menu
Highlighted
nsna
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ditch phone line

Hi I am a deaf subscriber who cannot use or benefit from a phone line. I cannot hear so its pointless paying for this at 19.00 a month. Weve been subscribers with you since 2017 and the price we are paying for our package has continueed to rise. I am very aware of the fact i can move to another provider or even go to using freeview and i must say i am.tempted to do so since i continue to pay more each year for our package. Please can we have the option to remove the phone line from our package on disability grounds.. i use sms to text or use my computer to communicate. We would like to reevaluate our package so that we are getting the best value for our money.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ditch phone line

The phoneline doesnt really have a cost £19, they charge line rental but you get £19 off your bill for having a "bundle"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi nsna. 

Thanks for messaging us today. 

It is usually cheaper to have all three services as you would get a bigger discount. having only two services can work out to be more expensive

Are you still in contract? 

Kind Regards 

Chris_W1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nsna
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes still in contract.. but i was told my monthly charge wa only going to be 88 pounds and its now 104!

Its pointless to have a phone line we do not use..

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi nsna. 

If we were to take away the phone line during the contractual period there would be an early disconnection fee, when does the contract expire? 

Kind Regards 

Chris_W1

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nsna
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

August i guess. Unless there is some fus ount as existing subscribers we can get..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@nsna

I think we could enrich the replies you have had a little to help you. You have made a sensible and logical point, but you are caught between a bit of a rock and a hard place here because things aren't as simple as you think.

I speak from experience. I have just renegotiated my package with VM. My intention was to drop the landline because I use it very little, not because I have a mobile (which I loathe) but because we have BT line. And as has been suggested the cost of the re-negotiated  package (a reduced TV service) without a landline was HIGHER than the cost with one.  That is because VM apply a heavy discount to package prices where the customer takes a landline.  You don't just pay £19 extra and save £19 if you drop the phone. The whole cost of package goes up by heavy discount you lose.  I kept the landline. I did not want to cut off my nose to spite my face.

Freeview  and Freeview Play are great. We've just got them together on our new television. But the big issue is that you are entirely reliant on catch-up services for programmes you might have missed and not all programmes are on catch up.  There is no record facility unless you add a F/View box. You also lose the flexibility to record more than one programme at a time which you have with a TiVO or the V6.

Now I am going to tread on sensitive ground.  My last job in Government was to help legislate against disability discrimination so I am well aware of the issues that hearing impaired people face when they deal with companies like VM.   VM are no model for handling issues with disabled people (much though they like to think they are).

If you want to renegotiate your package you cannot do it via this Forum. It must be done in person via the phone. Bluntly this means that you'll have to get someone to phone in for you or use VM web chat (absolutely ghastly) or one of the means here:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-accessibility-services

Now even more bad news. If you drop the phone line while you are in a minimum services  contract period (you are ALWAYS in contract with VM, you can't have their services without a contract) then you will be charged an early leaving fee if you drop a service in that period AND you may find that you are then asked to re-contract for a further fixed 12 months after that.

Read this:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-cancellation-fee

It doesn't get better really. VM are expensive. No point in denying it. The cable tv suppliers etc have never been cheap and we have been with this outfit for 30+ years. We can afford it.  But the alternatives can be truly ghastly. TV services limited to Freeview channels and some add-ons specific to the supplier. Internet over phone lines with poor speeds and having to rely on BT Openreach for fault fixing (you thought VM was bad). But if you like Sky then there is always NOW TV which I hear good reports about but have never used. And you might like the streaming services from Netflix or Amazon

It is your choice but I wanted you to have the full picture. Think carefully about what you want and before you jump ship. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Apart from VM there is only a very limited range of options for phone-free broadband as the main alternative for wired broadband is DSL which relies on a phone line (in part) or, correct me if I'm wrong, a phone is bundled with BT's FTTH offering.

If your need for broadband is limited you could go for mobile broadband, an example is the 4GEE Home Router which costs from £35pm for 100GB and which will provide the WiFi you need for your mobile devices and has an Ethernet port for the cable connection to your PC.

If Freeview is suitable you can get the Panasonic DMR-HWT150EB which is also a recorder and has built-in WiFi. You'll need an aerial for Freeview.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
nsna
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No need for phone line we have FIBER..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The point is that although a phone line is not needed VM charges more if you don't have it. You now have some alternatives to investigate.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos