cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "no number calls" since moving to IP Telephone from landline (Home) (Resolved)

Chris_Myers
Superfast

My area has recently been migrated from landline to IP telephony which seems to work well with one exception.  My received calls report 10-20 daily calls from "no number".  There is no call made (no ringing) and no message left, just a report that "no number" called and a time.  OFCOM state it should be addressed to the provider and the Telephone preference service state they can do nothing with marketing or computer generated calls.  This did not happen until switched to IP telephony and has been daily since (coincidentally - I think not).  This appears to be a man-in-the-middle network attack and is therefore worrying (as well as filling my recent calls with rubbish).  Virgin media say they cannot see these calls, yet their system records it on my recent calls log. Anyone else having this problem or have a resolution?

[MOD EDIT: Please see post for an update ]

1,006 REPLIES 1,006

Surely & I assumed ...  are technologies direct predecessors of standing on a landmine !

We have a Cisco SPA112 ATA , 2 VOIP lines configured with Sipgate, it was installed in 2017, we do not suffer any Direct IP calls.

There 2 inbound phone numbers on line 1 (1 ported from BT) and just 1 on line 2 (for a home alarm) it just works and keeps telephone services unbundled from VM internet and SkyTV.  

PS  ... Well done getting the Grandstream ATA working - the VOIP menu options are eye popping to start with !

PS  ... Well done getting the Grandstream ATA working - the VOIP menu options are eye popping to start with !

Indeed they are!  It's almost scary until I realised that the overwhelming majority of settings needed to be left at default or blank values, and the task is picking out the few that matter.  I played around with some settings today and had to do a hard reset*, but once you've done it before then it's child's play. 

* You're a tinkerer, or your not a tinkerer.  And if you are, you learn to live with the consequences of "I wonder what this does?" 

I can see nowhere on a Virgin Media Hub 5 (within the menu options below) to set up VOIP in general and SPIT/Proxy settings in particular. Are we saying this can be done on a Virgin Media Hub 3/4/5?

Screenshot_20230205_223126.png

Me Too I have been trying for the last two hours.

Note this post from yesterday ...

The Hubs(3/4/5) have zero VOIP settings exposed in either Router or Modem mode.

This needs to be done as a Hub(3/4/5) firmware fix by VM software teams.

@Chris_Myers wrote:

I can see nowhere on a Virgin Media Hub 5 (within the menu options below) to set up VOIP in general and SPIT/Proxy settings in particular. Are we saying this can be done on a Virgin Media Hub 3/4/5?

Well, it may have been mentioned before in this thread, but VM's implementation of digital voice is not a strict VOIP implementation.  Everything is controlled invisibly by the hub and users can't change any digital voice settings or make use of any of the potential capabilities of a decent SIP setup.  There's very good reasons for that, in that the range of options a true VOIP connection offers are far too great for mere mortals, and changing one minor, innocent looking radio button can stop the whole thing working if done without knowledge (hence my having to reset my ATA the other day and reconfigure it), and also changes to the configuration can be a security risk.  Many of the no-number calls are likely to be from the VOIP equivalent of port scanning, where fraudsters are looking for insecure VOIP systems in order to take control and use it for malicious purposes (perhaps routing fraud voice calls, making high cost international calls or calling premium rate lines).

VM are right to give users no control with digital voice, but having taken that decision they really should have set it up properly.  Residential customers on (eg) Vonage are not having these problems with default hardware and settings.

For a Cisco SPA112 ( and similar ) Direct IP calls are controlled for each line by

"Make call without reg"  Yes / No 
"Ans call without reg"   Yes / No

No is the factory default for both.  

Client62_2-1675679137506.png

Similar options available on a Grandstream HT801 or 802, although unaccountably the default is Yes.  

1malcolmgeorge
Dialled in

It seems a long time since I originally posted regarding this problem and it has not yet been resolved,

I read the gobbledegook messages about router settings and such. These mean nothing to me.

I just want my phone to stop flashing up blue light with "Incoming call", "Not Avail", and then returning to normal display2 or 3 times an hour, 24 hours per day.

I have had conversations with forum team and have had an engineer visit, none of whom have any idea how to resolve this.

WHEN ARE VM GOING TO GET THEIR DIGITS OUT AND SOLVE THIS PROBLEM OF THEIR MAKING.  SURELY THE LARGE NUMBER OF CALLS AND PAGES ON THIS FORUM SHOWS IT IS NOT AN ISOLATED INCIDENT

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can appreciate the frustration caused with this 1malcolmgeorge,

To clarify has our team raised a ticket for your matter?

Let us know,

Kain