cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting phone and router

pcl
Joining in

I have received the cable to connect my landline phone to my router. This is not possible. MY TV is in the front room, my router is upstairs in the rear of the house and my phone in the hallway near the front door where it is accessible to the whole house. Is this something an engineer could fix or do I have to abandon the landline. I am not prepared to move the landline. The 3 computers upstairs are desktops with no wireless cards, all connected by ethernet. If I have the router moved downstairs it would have to go beside the TV. Could I connect the upstairs computers using HomePlugs or would I need to fit wireless cards to the desktops, I expect that would mean having wireless boosters.

Grateful for any thoughts and advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM to connect your phone extension sockets to the hub phone socket as part of the switchover process. Read through this info

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover

about 'You’ll need to book a free technician visit if:' near the bottom of the page

Alternatively, consider using some cordless phones. Plug the base station into the VM hub and use satellite cordless phones around the home as required.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Ask VM to connect your phone extension sockets to the hub phone socket as part of the switchover process. Read through this info

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone/switchover

about 'You’ll need to book a free technician visit if:' near the bottom of the page

Alternatively, consider using some cordless phones. Plug the base station into the VM hub and use satellite cordless phones around the home as required.

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @pcl,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
I would be able to arrange a technician visit for you to get your extensions installed. 

however I do need to confirm a few details via a private message, that I will drop over in a moment.
Please look out for the private message and we can get started.
Regards,
Steven_L

Actually got through on the phone and an engineer's visit now arranged.

Ok no problem @pcl, glad that you could get is sorted over the phone. 

Please let us know how the visit goes, if you get a chance.

Regards,

Steven_L

Well the day has passed and unfortunately no engineer has turned up!

Hi there @pcl

I'm so sorry to hear the engineer did not arrive! 

I'll send you a PM now so we can look into why this happened, please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you.

This is all too common with VM !   If you miss an appointment, they charge you.

Turns out they forgot to tell me the appointment had been moved to next week.

We further apologise for this experience @pcl.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs