cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect home phone to WiFi Hub - Any Other Way?

Wile_E_Coyote
Dialled in

As have many others, I've just received notice from VM of the pending change from wired to hub connection.

We have a mains powered base station plus another handset upstairs. As the hub is in one corner of the room, the base station in another, is there a techy solution so that I don't have to have the downstairs phone next to the hub? I don't want to run wires around the room, if there's no fix, we'll just have to find somewhere to put it and maybe have another handset near to us.

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, @Wile_E_Coyote,

Thanks for posting your query. Sorry to hear you'd have some trouble with the migration for your current setup. For this, we do have ways to allow the Hub and Phone to be separate from each other, even with the 21CV migration in effect.

So I can get things sorted for you, I'm going to drop you a private message. Please look out for it in the purple envelope 🙂

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

@Reece_MH
How are you able to "allow the Hub and Phone to be separate from each other"
Our router and phone are on different floors of the house. Neither can be moved .

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Erin-mv,

Apologies for the confusion, we can install additional phone sockets (extension sockets) in the property to be closer to where the phone should be, which would connect to the main line.

This would be on the basis of an inspection of a Technician, and they would be able to advise further on whether it is possible to install extension sockets within your property.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

hello @Reece_MH

How will that help, if the phone has to be connected to the back of the hub ?
Our switch over date is coming very soon and i am desperately trying to find a solution .

Thank you

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Erin-mv wrote:

hello @Reece_MH
How will that help, if the phone has to be connected to the back of the hub ?
Our switch over date is coming very soon and i am desperately trying to find a solution .
Thank you

VM can install a cable from the phone socket on the back of the hub to one of your existing extension sockets. Your existing extension sockets then run from the hub's phone connection rather than from the existing master wall socket, post switchover. They should do this FOC as part of the switchover process but needs to be booked in as part of the work to allow sufficient time for the VM tech. Sometimes they do a separate visit to re-connect extension sockets.

Alternatively (and at cost to you) move to a cordless phone setup with the cordless base station plugged into the hub and cordless satellite phones around the home as required.

Wile_E_Coyote
Dialled in

I used to think that our landline came in through a cable from a pole as it had been changed over from BT to NTL years before we bought the house.

However, when we had a problem with a crackly line, because I was working from home, when the technician came, I got to ask about what he was doing.

The landline was, in fact, a branch, taken from the cable, inside the external brown box. The problem was traced to the line from the big green box down the street to the house. As there were spare wires in the bundle, the technician was able to change from ones causing the problem to others.

I suppose that, as this is the current arrangement, the simplest solution now would be to run a line back from the hub, through the same hole that the incoming cable uses, connecting to the branch line, assuming that is possible.

Failing that, as I noted, we'll have to have the base station close to the hub, one satellite phone where the base station is now, retaining the one upstairs.