Menu
paulnation
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Change my landline number

Over the last couple of months I've been getting persistent nuisance calls to my Virgin landline number. Often they're automated messages "You've missed a call from your internet provider", but also from people who as soon as you challenge where they got my number from they hang up. The calls are daily - sometimes several times a day - starting early in the morning. It's become such a nuisance that I'm reluctant to answer the telephone. The current number is supposed to be ex-directory and we are registered with the TPS and use caller ID, but caller ID is often 'Unknown'.

How do I go about getting my number changed and ensuring that my number is ex-directory?

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change my landline number

Good morning @paulnation 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have has some issues with nascence calls on your landline, whilst we are able to change your number it might not guarantee that you don't get the nuisance call, if you pop over here there is some additional information on what you are able to do. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
paulnation
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, yes, I'd seen that information already. We're now at the stage where the problem is such that we're thinking of leaving Virgin and doing away with our landline entirely. Changing the number was the last ditch effort to put a stop to the current bout of persistent calls, but if the issue re-surfaces again then we'd look to do away with landline entirely - we all use mobiles - no one uses our landline except the nuisance callers! It seems it's a required part of a Virgin package - they charge more for not having the landline - so we may be better off just cancelling entirely. As I say, I'm happy to give Virgin one last try with a number change, but if that's not possible that's helpful to know and I can arrange cancellation.

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@paulnation wrote:

<snip>

How do I go about getting my number changed and ensuring that my number is ex-directory?

Read this topic below all the way through as to why changing your number will not help with the scam calls and may, in fact, put you in a worse situation.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Silent-calls-to-new-phone-number/td-p/4660969

You may get a 'bad' number as a replacement with a past history attached to it. Past problems on here after a number change have included a number previously registered to a doctors' surgery; a number still registered with various takeaway delivery companies and still receiving calls; a number used by a removals company; a number similar to a social housing organisation receiving unwanted calls; a number receiving calls over an extended period of time for a previous user of the number and a number receiving calls from debt collectors trying to contact the previous user of the number.

Consider a call screening device or call screening phone instead to deal with the scam callers.

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

We are more than happy to change the number for you but as advise this might not change the problem. 

Please do let me know how you would like to proceed. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos