Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Xbox connection dropping out

We’ve recently moved to virgin from sky. Since this move the Xbox connection is regularly dropping out - never had this before. Checked settings and speed high at 140 ish WiFi 86% etc but still it drops. We cannot wire into the router as it’s in a different room - although I have read people with this issue who have a wired connection. Please help? There was much stress and deliberation to move from Sky and the Xbox issue is having a majorly negative impact on this house ... especially with lockdown! Does virgin support IPv6 which apparently could help??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox connection dropping out

WiFi is never a good idea for gaming, so maybe look at using powerline adaptors, but wired is best.
As for IPv6, no and don't hold your breath waiting for it ..... VDSL suppliers have had IPv6 for years, but so far VM are just talking about it. There is a thread here somewhere started over 10 YEARS ago about IPv6 and when it will be available from VM.
By the way, your VDSL circuit from Sky will be much superior for gaming, despite a slower connection. It's all about the latency 😉

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox connection dropping out

Thanks for your reply. Essentially you are saying that the sky broadband was better for gaming even though overall the VM offering is of a higher quality in terms of speed? What I find confusing is that for the first week or so we didn’t have the drop out issues ... it’s been happening for the last 2 weeks max. Also we have a Nintendo switch, which doesn’t seem to encounter the same issue; although this is portable and can be used in the room which houses the router. Thanks again for your contribution. I am learning bits of tech every day!

0 Kudos