cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WAN Packet overhead for Cake QOS

darmo
Up to speed

Running Merlin OS on my Asus router, so i can use the Cake QOS which apparently helps ease the lag spikes. I've set it the default wan packet overhead settings it provided for DOCSIS, was wondering if anyone else uses the Merlin OS with Cake and what your settings are?

Screenshot 2022-05-09 202207.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

mjpartyboy
Fibre optic

Depending on what speeds you have, Cake may not be any use to you. Best place for information about Cake and QoS with RMerlin firmware is the SmallNetBuilder forums, where the wizard himself is active, so definitely worth a look there.

SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node

Update: using the bufferbloat test here I managed to get my rating from a B to an A with tick for latency gaming too. took some trial and error, but i basically kept lowering the speed (im on M350 btw). I also found that using ATM mode (no idea what it does) was a significant change. I Hopped bag into warzone right after i confirm the bufferbloat improvement and i notice a significant difference, game feels much more consistent, can't believe i'm actually having fun with this game again ..... on virgin nonetheless.

Capture.PNG

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

You might be limited to your router CPU and your upload seem lower then it could be try 35Mb whats your upload speed show for limiting at 22Mb on speed test? For download 340Mb should be fine but if your CPU can't handle it the QoS could make the latency worse.

ATM I think is Asynchronous Transfer Mode?

For a extra test run a ping -t 194.168.4.100  then do a steam download and upload speed test to see how that handles.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Its showing around 20mb, which is find latency is more important to me than speed. I doubt its the router CPU i have a high spec Asus router with quad core. As long as the median is around the 15-20ms range on the waveform bufferbloat test the game performs mostly fine. Also iv'e notices no big yellow spikes on the BQM for over 48hours now since iv'e made this change. So it seems that to get half decent latency on virgin you have to sacrifice between around 20% of your speed with QOS.