cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superhub upgrade needed

Professor200
On our wavelength

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone on here can help. We have a full virgin media set up (biggest TV bundle) and pay a significant amount per month for the package. Our internet is M350. I have the superhub 3.

I’m a gamer and compete weekly, however, the packet loss I am experiencing is extremely frustrating. I have followed suggestions on this forum and have both my gaming PC and Xbox wired directly to the hub. 

I’ve seen many forum posts and YouTube videos saying the hub3 is a significant issue for other gamers. I would like to upgrade to the superhub 5 as I am now at the stage of either doing this or changing ISP. 

I have tried to get help on the phone, but, it’s proving difficult to get the support required. 

Many thanks in advance.

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

unisoft
Well-informed

@Professor200 wrote:

Hello all,

I am hoping that someone on here can help. We have a full virgin media set up (biggest TV bundle) and pay a significant amount per month for the package. Our internet is M350. I have the superhub 3.

I’m a gamer and compete weekly, however, the packet loss I am experiencing is extremely frustrating. I have followed suggestions on this forum and have both my gaming PC and Xbox wired directly to the hub. 

I’ve seen many forum posts and YouTube videos saying the hub3 is a significant issue for other gamers. I would like to upgrade to the superhub 5 as I am now at the stage of either doing this or changing ISP. 

I have tried to get help on the phone, but, it’s proving difficult to get the support required. 

Many thanks in advance.

Danny

At the moment it would be pure luck with whoever you deal with to get one on your package.

People with 1GIG have even been sent HUB4's due to stock shortage even though advertised as that tier having a HUB5 (VM will replace those at a later date when stock replenished).

You are on M350, so the HUB3 is deemed OK for that tier, although you may be able to get a HUB4, which although has the latency issue in its design, you won't come across it due to it having a faster chipset. Regardless of HUB, none of them will give you a magic speed increase as they can all handle M350 throughput and latency will not improve. (I've gone 3 > 4> 5 as on 1GIG tier a while ago). The original press reports about Puma chip latency in HUB3 were based before VM had a software upgrade that improved the HUB3. It didn't and couldn't totally fix the inherit design issue, but it did make things a lot better to the point where people stopped complaining. DocSIS itself has latency due to the way it works compared to a pure FTTP PPoE service. Are you sure your latency issues are not due to some other condition like quality of signal to your HUB or area over utlisation?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

24 REPLIES 24

unisoft
Well-informed

@Professor200 wrote:

Hello all,

Many thanks in advance.

Danny

At the moment it would be pure luck with whoever you deal with to get one on your package.

People with 1GIG have even been sent HUB4's due to stock shortage even though advertised as that tier having a HUB5 (VM will replace those at a later date when stock replenished).

You are on M350, so the HUB3 is deemed OK for that tier, although you may be able to get a HUB4, which although has the latency issue in its design, you won't come across it due to it having a faster chipset. Regardless of HUB, none of them will give you a magic speed increase as they can all handle M350 throughput and latency will not improve. (I've gone 3 > 4> 5 as on 1GIG tier a while ago). The original press reports about Puma chip latency in HUB3 were based before VM had a software upgrade that improved the HUB3. It didn't and couldn't totally fix the inherit design issue, but it did make things a lot better to the point where people stopped complaining. DocSIS itself has latency due to the way it works compared to a pure FTTP PPoE service. Are you sure your latency issues are not due to some other condition like quality of signal to your HUB or area over utlisation?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Although it's always nice to have the latest tech, I think you'll be disappointed if you expect a Hub5 to solve your latency problem.

You need to check where the latency is happening, and the first step is to set up a free BQM check that will monitor the incoming signal. If it shows this is the source of the latency then you may well be right in looking for an alternative supplier. Post a live link here to the BQM. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thank you both for responding, really appreciate it.

I’ve signed up on the link provided and will share a graph Tuesday after my Monday games. We usually play for 3 hours, so hopefully that will give a good amount of data.

I understand that at some point the line in to the house was damaged and a repair was made and sealed in an orange box. Could this cause issues? 

It’s very frustrating experience lag or stuttering when mostly everyone else I’m online against/with isn’t having the same issues. 

It's best to post a live link as described in the BQM instructions. That way it will update here continuously

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

While the BQM is populating, (takes 24 hours) can you post the power levels and network log as text.  Just copy and paste into several posts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Here is a live link so far, I’ve just played some cod for the last hour and was intermittently lagging.. 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/01b7fca6d7ba578d3f2ad1f8ed7e0f603444dadb

Thank you for your message. Do you have a guide on how to do this regarding power etc? I'm not sure what I am doing with this. 

Many thanks. 

With a HUB 3 and a DOCSIS 3.0 only service the Latency and Jitter are typically low.

This can be checked here : https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

With a HUB 4 or HUB 5,  32x DOCSIS 3.0 Downstream channels are multiplexed with 1x DOCSIS 3.1 channel.  The Latency can be double, the Jitter can be 100x what is seen on a HUB3 service.

So hint of the day ... Gig 1 is perhaps the worst choice of all for a game player - M125 would be far better !

Thank you for your message. 

It's all very confusing. Are you thinking a downgrade in package from M350 to M125 would improve things? Would this be with the Hub 3 still?