Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Regular packet loss on 1Gbit connection

I've been a 1Gbit customer since 11th November, and whilst the bandwidth is welcome the repeated and frequent issues of packet loss are not - I cannot game with packet loss lagging me around everywhere!

To be honest, I can ever remember a time where it has been this bad.. and I'm talking about 14.4Kbps dial-up days in the early 90s.

Somedays it is fine, and some days it is rotten.. BQM attests to this. So what is so badly wrong with the Virgin Media infrastructure where this issue is occuring frequently and repeatedly ?

For example, lets take a perfectly good and fine day, Sunday 22nd.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5f1351dcc4fddddc89dbb41a497a16369ca26c8b-22-12-2019

Let us now take Saturday the 28th over the period I was gaming:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/94a1c7efb5b25fd62ab0b8e6db757d4018d531b0-28-12-2019

Let's take the 30th, a absolutely hideous day:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a103eb2b5f615732eb6df2f3980d30dbca101e81-30-12-2019

Moving on to yesterday, where I imagine the 4:30-ish AM outage was more about some infrastructure reset somewhere Virgin side.. and for a couple of hourse at 6PM when I started gaming it was fine. Until a bit later that is..

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a103eb2b5f615732eb6df2f3980d30dbca101e81-30-12-2019

And finally, today (not including the most recent episodes but highlights the problem all day)

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f7236ae89c32d0da254ef9ce1878a6826a588da4-02-01-2020

It may not seem a lot, but  any packet loss at all is fatal for online gaming. Seriously, I've not even had an episode of this for many many years. This is repeated and I suspect Systemic on the Virgin side.

What can you do to look into this and raise appropriate faults etc ?

Regards

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Regular packet loss on 1Gbit connection

1) The BQM measures all performance issues between the Thinkbroadband servers and your cable modem, and for this reason (amongst others) it isn't a diagnostic tool officially recognised by VM, useful though it is for many.  So VM may not accept this as evidence of a problem, and sometimes (rarely, but I have seen it) problems that are clearly visible are not on the VM network.  You may want to do some speed tests at speedtest.net when the packet loss is bad in order to establish the problem in a manner that VM will have to respond to.

2) This maybe an area fault (forum staff can advise), in which case it should have a problem reference and a resolution date.

3) It is possible that you've got a local performance problem on the segment between your cable modem and the local cabinet.  This could show up as any combination of low speeds, high error levels, poor SNR, out-of-range power levels, loss of upstream modulation, or serious errors like Partial Service, T3 timeouts or loss of synchronisation reports in the hub's network log.  If you connect to the hub and post the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network logs tabs here we'll have a go at spotting any obvious problems, although as you're an early adopter you should be aware that experience of the Hub 4 is limited.  If you're lucky a sympathetic VM forum staff member will take pity and do a remote check on your hub themselves.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your post RichyD and sorry to hear you're having some broadband issues.

We'd like to take a further look into this as @Andruser has pointed out this looks like it could indicate an issue. 

I'll pop you over a private message now if you can please respond to this by going to the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Thank you, Emily.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The answer below is copied and pasted from another persons post exactly the same answers to any gamer with latency like me an every other gamer, oh it's the test nothing to do with virgin well ive been tracking your hops for months on numerous software programs an all point to virgin lag spikes packet loss after 20 years im off you just got to read the net to see the extent of the problem incredible in 2020 we have the worst internet in the western world sorry you have the same problen even on the 1gb down 50 up?  Laughable 50 up when its symetrical like America 1000 up an down, but hey they can't have that people would be upstreaming like crazy to match the download p2p sharing they wont have that

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so you sent a engineer around, who could not find anything wrong (obvious waste of time IMO). The engineer replaced the hub 4 router as that seems to be a matter of process, rather than the reality of the situation.Ok fine whatever.

Nothing has changed - most of the time it is fine, other times the Virgin network is eating itself.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/d84de679500e13be6f57b3933cbd8462ae823494-19-01-2020

A classic example, I was roughly gaming from 2PM, through to 2AM, a 45 minute break at 7:30PM and it was absolutely fine - until about 9PM and then it was terrible until my close of gaming. The graph then shows packet loss to my connection from the BQM source, which is exactly what I was experiencing to the Xbox Live service. What am I going to experience today I wonder ?

Can you please tell me of what steps I need to take to ensure somebody within Virgin is taking a look at their network, or verifying that this is a known issue etc.

I have read other posts on this particular forum and it does strike me that there is a serious problem with VM and w.r.t gaming VM isn't fit-for-purpose and what it is advertised as.

I will be more explicit, I have had more trouble with virgin since signing up a few months ago than I have had for the rest of the 21st century with any other ISP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

We're sorry that the issue remains even after the tech visit and it's impacting your gaming. 

I've had a look at the network you're on and cannot see any errors in your area, are you experiencing issues at 9pm or at similar times? What if you were to play games connecting to a different gaming server?

Thanks,

Lisa

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lisa,

You only need to look at those graphs I've posted which clearly and unambiguously shows packet loss. The "gaming server" which is Microsoft's XBox Live service is clearly not the same server as used by BQM ; this BQM service is just confirming what I already know to be happening.

I do not doubt that you are not seeing any errors. I would assume if you did that multiple people would be experiencing severe issues. Those systems are geared for the obvious; not for the subtle. Somedays the service is fine for gaming, other days it is not, all evidenced by BQM. The issue is something somewhere in your network - you need to engage some network engineers that work on the infrastructure and let them know there is a problem. They probably don't even know it, and why would they if you all guys do in here is spin in circles saying "sorry you had a problem but we can't find anything wrong". Cleary there is!

What I need is a detail of the next steps you are going to take to resolve this issue so I can be confident that this is being progressed.

From my side, if there isn't activity to resolve this then it is time to move this to a ADR. What process or mechanism do I need to engage to ensure this is lodged as a formal "complaint" ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi RichyD,

Thank you for your reply, are you able to post a live BQM? So we can get a better idea into what is going on. I can log a complaint for you if you would like, I will send you a private message asking for some details. Keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I believe this to be the URL to the live one:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/5a94676d6ff83ebe415dcbbc473ab025525639cc 

You can see last night two block of packet loss, causing me gaming misery - the yellow spikes is where I ran the SamKnows speed test which seems to have forced the problem to go away for brief periods.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Do we have any progress on this ? Typical filth, I even disconnected once from my work's remote desktop.

latency.png

0 Kudos