cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem after problem, this is easily the worst ISP i ever have used

danbottomburp
On our wavelength

Where to start?

On steam i am not getting anywhere close to my download speed (1GB) i get a quarter if i am lucky, not just on steam either its the same on EA and using the RIot client

Been looking at my BQM and it hasn't been exactly stable over the last three/four days that might be something to do with it

In FPS games i am a sitting duck, shooting at people who i should be killing only to be laughed at and killed myself instead

I am the highest rank possible in CsGo but i haven't played it at all since getting Virgin connection, simply do NOT trust it

Done some speed tests using various providers including Real Speed which tells me the Jitter and packet loss is there

Every single dungeon i do in ESO online completes and then i am immediately kicked formt he server and have to log in again, this happens every single time

I have reset the router recently, its definitely not my PC 

I would much rather have a stable, good quality connection than one that can sometimes hit over 1GB a second

My previous provider might have only been giving me 40Mbps but they were on another level in terms of connection quality

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ac34fd4c9281748e838a5f353a78c05971b11487

38 REPLIES 38

The technician was not happy being sent out for no reason, apparently my power levels and everything else was fine, he blamed the Game servers but i know better, its definitely certain days the connection just goes bad for no apparent reason, this is something i guess i will have to get used to and hope BT get to my area before this contract runs out

Hypothetically, I wonder if the ‘engineer’ has recorded the visit as being ‘customer issues’ and hence they’ll charge you £25 for the privilege?

Watch your bills for the next few months!

I neither wanted or asked for the visit, the customer service person said there was a power level fault, there wasn't, i wont be paying any such fee! 

isn't the simple solution to only game after 10pm, avoid peak times ? I suspect with users sucking out 1Gbps of throughput at peak times it's just the nature of the beast.

Is there any other users on your network at peak times, using Wifi, using the VM connection for virgin TV, all will suck data and push your ping up.

Is this reply serious?

Some of us work, only gaming after 10pm is not practical and quite frankly ridiculous 

Can the mods actually moderate? replies like these are neither helpful or informative, this person is clearly trolling 

Hi danbottomburp,

I can see that there was recently a reported outage in your area that was reported as resolved last week. Can you please let us know how things have been since then? Apart from that, all of your specs appear to be OK.

Let us know

Beth

I will be leaving this company as soon as the contract expires or even sooner if the service remains like this, its the worst ISP i have ever been with, i am going to keep screenshots of all the problems shown on the BQM and takes notes of all the times my internet is unusable and maybe the Ombusdman can get me out of this nightmare

Is your problem latency / jitter or speed, the way I see it is you've got 2 choices, well at least I have, Virgin with some peak time jitter but fantastic speed or BT with poor speed and less jitter. No idea how BT FTTP compares to Virgin, possibly less jitter and latency ? I don't have that available where I am.

The base line latency is very hard to predict, certainly it is with third party ISPs which will likely use the BT infrastruture before handing over to their core network. Having been a BT customer for many years and tried other third party ISPs I'm not impressed with the latency or jitter of Virgin but I'm willing to work around it to get the excellent speed on offer.

No idea but perhaps the hub5 will be better when it's rolled out.

@webBeAsTspider wrote:

Snip...

No idea but perhaps the hub5 will be better when it's rolled out.

Hint - it won’t be!

Honestly for gaming then raw speed isn’t that important other than how long it takes to download games or patches - what is more impotent is latency.

As a general rule, the base line latency on a DSL connection is very likely to  be lower @webBeAsTspider sorry but you won’t work around it, it’s a consequence of the technology used. Well; at least the existing technology that VM use, possibly in the future - but don’t hold your breath....

I have to give credit where its due, since i had that nightmare month or so with service and the second engineer turned up i have had flawless service since, not a single issue, so just want to be clear about that, people are quick to jump on here when things are going badly and rightly so but there isn't so much praise when things are good