cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Forwarding for Minecraft Server

Grizzly232
Tuning in

I've been trying to set up a Minecraft server but I'm running into some issues.

The router we've got is a Virgin Hub 3.0 and I've gotten through practically every other step of the set up bar port forwarding. The rule I've added is in the image below.

Capture.PNG

I've already confirmed that 192.168.0.24 is my local address and 25565 is the default port for Minecraft. The server seems to bind properly and I can connect to it as well, but only locally. If I connect to localhost:25565 or the IP above, I'm on the server, all is well. If I try to connect with my public address, the connection always times out. This prevents other people from joining my server.

Using a couple of port checker utilities on the internet, I've found out that apparently a bunch of ports aren't open. I'm not sure if this is how UPnP works or if those ports are actually, straight-up closed. Some of these ports really do seem like they should be open, like port 80. Regardless, 25565 seems to always be closed, despite the rule.

I've tried disabling every firewall setting I could and tried restarting the router after setting all of these values, but nothing seems to make a difference. It's like the ports aren't communicating at all and I can't check if it's really a problem with them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Grizzly232 wrote:

Hey Shelke,

I tried adding those same rules, but no luck. Despite a direct message from the server telling me that it's running on 19132, 25565 or any other port, that port never seems to be open. canyouseeme times out connecting to all three of them.

I also tried adding them to the port triggering section as well, but no difference. Am I meant to fill in the same port number for the trigger and target ports?

Ops delayed reply, I was tearing up old carpets Cat Embarassed

Yes I added the same ports to the trigger list.)

One other thing to consider is...: your devices local firewall. Part of what I had to do was set an allow permission on the inbound firewall rules (and outbound local firewall rules if you filter those too) of my computer for the java process the MC server runs on (the process my MC server runs from.) On my Win 8.1 x64 computer with X64 Java the java path to that for me was: %ProgramFiles% (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_447399500\java.exe

Yours will point to a different directory probably, just use the "open folder" option to find out where the java process shorts out to directory wise

^If you haven't tried the above already.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Shelke
Alessandro Volta

This is what I have for my MC server in my router config:

MC.jpg

Port 38xxx is the custom port I assigned for my server, but I added a rule for 25xxxx anyway. Those 3 port forwarding rules I made for MC I also put into the port triggering section too.

It shows online and available in canyouseeme: https://www.canyouseeme.org/

Hey Shelke,

I tried adding those same rules, but no luck. Despite a direct message from the server telling me that it's running on 19132, 25565 or any other port, that port never seems to be open. canyouseeme times out connecting to all three of them.

I also tried adding them to the port triggering section as well, but no difference. Am I meant to fill in the same port number for the trigger and target ports?

@Grizzly232 wrote:

Hey Shelke,

Ops delayed reply, I was tearing up old carpets Cat Embarassed

Yes I added the same ports to the trigger list.)

One other thing to consider is...: your devices local firewall. Part of what I had to do was set an allow permission on the inbound firewall rules (and outbound local firewall rules if you filter those too) of my computer for the java process the MC server runs on (the process my MC server runs from.) On my Win 8.1 x64 computer with X64 Java the java path to that for me was: %ProgramFiles% (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath_target_447399500\java.exe

Yours will point to a different directory probably, just use the "open folder" option to find out where the java process shorts out to directory wise

^If you haven't tried the above already.

Aha! I'd tried setting those firewall rules months ago and didn't think to revisit it this time, but I found that I had practically every Java executable passing the firewall except the exact one you pointed me to. Turns out that's the only one I need.

Thanks for the help!

No problem; I'm glad that you got it online Cat Happy