Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ping spike despite 350mbps in Bristol

Hi,

Im facing a ping spikes  while gaming.  Im Having ping  spike from 25-30ms to over 100ms+  almost every minute and it makes online gaming unbearable.

I live in Bristol.And currently have Vodafone broadband connection coming in to my house too, but speed is 65Mbps, but no lag spikes. you can see ping test results while being connected to Vodafone  and then to Virgin. Virgin connection is very unstable  and I would like to know if there is a fix to this, or do I need to cancel my new Virgin High speed connection?  The extra cost for 350mbps is not worth a poor quality connection that i'm currently receiving.

Can you please help me with this problem as I want to keep only one connection to my house ... and it will  be  one that is more stable for sure!

Thanks!vodafone vs virgin ping.gif

Tested 17/04/2020  17:38Tested 17/04/2020 17:38

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping spike despite 350mbps in Bristol

Hi,

Send me a PM with your Account Number and Area Reference and I'll look into this for you.

To send me a Private Message just simply click the link below:

Click Here 

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Almost certainly the same problem as me.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Bristol-ping-spikes-resulting-in-poor-VOIP-Video-Conferen...

Can you do a traceroute to bbc.co.uk?

Does "10.160.148.1" come up?

If so I think we are on the same cabinet/node.

Summary is a problem between the LAN ports of the hub and the first node on the trace route.
Two engineers, no problems found. Referred to the Networks team a week ago. No change since!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

No, mine comes up with 10.14.8.1
0 Kudos