cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ping, packet loss and Latency all over the place. Can we get some info please!

CloudchaserXI
Up to speed

Started 2 days ago - I'm assuming this is Covid 19 related? If it is PLEASE confirm Virgin.

380Meg fibre, all networked - pc direct to Hub 3.

All of a sudden: massive lag spikes, interruption, packet loss.

I have tried Modem mode. Tried to reset router. 

Software version: 9.1.1811.401

Log below:

20/03/2020 20:32:56noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/03/2020 20:32:3Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/03/2020 19:53:3noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/03/2020 04:16:13Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
20/03/2020 02:44:21criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/03/2020 23:24:8Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/03/2020 22:15:12criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/03/2020 20:50:23Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/03/2020 18:58:29noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
18/03/2020 18:58:14Warning!LAN login FAILED : Incorrect Username / Password / ConnectionType;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 12:32:22Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 11:42:44noticeDHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-cmreg-vmdg505-rtsxxl35016u+voc-b.cm modified;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 11:42:44ErrorDHCP REBIND WARNING - Field invalid in response;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 10:53:4ErrorDHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 10:24:27Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 10:03:26ErrorDHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 09:52:42Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 09:09:24criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 08:24:10ErrorDHCP RENEW sent - No response for IPv4;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
17/03/2020 05:48:57Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

PING google.com (216.58.210.238): 64 data bytes
72 bytes from 216.58.210.238: seq=0 ttl=55 time=20.000 ms
72 bytes from 216.58.210.238: seq=1 ttl=55 time=10.000 ms
72 bytes from 216.58.210.238: seq=2 ttl=55 time=4500.000 ms
--- google.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 40% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 10.000/1510.000/4500.000 ms

802 REPLIES 802

Hi Katie,

Since you appear to think this is a minor issue only impacting a few complainers on this forum, what will it take to convince Virgin this is a widespread issue (for particular large areas/postcodes)?

I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just saying that checking into individuals in this thread isn't going to solve much, and we'd like some recognition that a larger problem exists and needs addressing. How can we make this happen?

Thanks,

David

MrWixi
Tuning in

My Broadband Ping - Virgin home

Area 22 - I would just like my internet to actually stay on.  Engineer back in February said my cabinet would need changing as it had much too many connections for it.  Please could someone let me know of any faults raised in my area and the relevant fix dates?  My contract is due to expire soon and I am considering my options.

3rd time posting this - lets see if it goes again...

Katie_WT
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

The issue is already raised David - you have the reference number for the issue. This means that we are already aware of the fault and are working to fix it.

Any accounts that are impacted by any area issue will have it listed - if a customer believes they are having issues of any sort, when they contact us, we can update them according to their account details. Not all customers in the same area or postcode will be impacted - some customers may be impacted more than others. 

Each reference number is a different issue. I have seen different reference numbers in the short time I have been on this thread today; this means that these issues are not linked to one another. 

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

So, you're saying that an issue that suddenly appeared (or got a lot worse) for huge numbers of people in the same area, isn't linked? It's not essentially the same issue in each area (capacity)? I'll admit that each ticket might correlate to the particular thing that needs upgrading per area ref/postcode, but in the end its just the same issue.

Since I work in technology, and sometimes help out with it at our local school, people in the area often come to me for help. A typical conversation might be:

Neighbour: "Have you had trouble working from home? I'm close to punching my screen with frustration at how slow/unusable it is."  (sometimes replace "work from home with Neflix or other)

Me: "Yes. It's terrible. Virgin has awful latency issues right now, particularly since the lock down started."

Neighbour: "But I checked speedtest, my speed is fine!".

Me: "It's not bandwidth, it's latency. Think of bandwidth as the number of lanes in the motorway, and the latency as how fast your car is. We have maxed out our lanes and so everyone is driving much slower, but the test is still showing that bandwidth as mostly ok."

Neighbour: "Are they going to fix it?"

Me: "Well since the issue has only been seriously noticeable since the lock down started, and upgrading the area would be expensive and time consuming for Virgin, what do you think? Virgin have changed the estimated fix date for us over 4 times now.

Neighbour: "They're going to wait and see if it's ok again after lock down, aren't they?".

Me: "Probably, unless enough of us call up to complain and start asking for refunds and cancelling our services".

My guess is that nothing is really going to happen until enough people call up to complain (which inconveniently they can't do easily thanks to lack of telephone support right now) and you get enough of these ticket references. Because yes, tickets numbers in this thread (which appear to span the country) may not be directly related, but I know this to be impacting over 50 families immediately around me... these are all definitely linked. I suspect this to be the same for other areas listed in this thread (though admittedly not all).

My guess would be that if Virgin bothered to use a large ping test tool, similar to how we are individually using BQM, but for all their customers in impacted areas, they'd see for themselves how widespread the issue is.

(Many apologies to other techies for my motorway analogy... it's the best I've come up with which manages to get a vague nod of understanding from others, but I realise it does mischaracterise the issue a bit. If anyone has a better one, please let me know 😄 ).

Although some knkw what its all about some will see that as very useful explanation. Many dont even know how bad there net is. Some just browse facebook n watch netflix thats it. So i bet the numbers are huge for vm to deal with. Not only during lockdown we are seeing the cracks cos we know what were looking for. But also somethings not right not just overused for neighbourhoods cos at night these issues will still perisist. Something has changed in the infastructure at vm end. 

Katie, I messaged you my details can I get the estimated fix now ?

Same for me, I also PM'ed you

Thanks

BeardedBush
On our wavelength

What a surprise.. come home from work and this pants is still a laggy mess. Whyyyyy dooooo iiiiii bothhhhherrrrr. 

Fix date for the Bromley area? Because I’m starting to think dinosaurs will come back before this is fixed

@lukescully - Yes, I agree. I'm actually guilty of ignoring the issue pre-lockdown because it wasn't that bad. Occasional slow down causing my remote desktop to be a bit laggy. With 20:20 hindsight, I should have complained a long time ago, because regular poor ping times are a sign of too much load on the network and it was likely to get worse. Since lockdown it's become unsuable for me, but everyone has their limits. People who only have to check their Outlook for their working from home maybe aren't suffering quite so much.

Also, I'd love it to be a problem on the network side that wasn't just to do with it being overused, as that might mean we'd get a fix sooner!

If only Netflix and the others weren't so good at buffering, then Virgin would really be hearing the shouts!