Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ping and Latency

Dear VM,

I signed to the maximum package (in my area)as it was advertised as Gamers Top of the range broadband. Since the initial setup my latency in gaming has become 20-25ms worse in comparison to Talktalk that I switched away from.  With TalkTalk my pings in CS:GO were around 40ms, with virgin I never hot less than 65-70ms(usually over a 100ms), this really messes up my gaming experience.

Are there any tips improving this? I read some old posts on the forum, and people have technical issues, but I can still download at full advertised speeds I'm on M350 package and my jitter is only 1-1.5ms.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ping and Latency

Would need to check the signal levels if could go to http://192.168.0.1 or if using modem mode http://192.168.100.1 clicking router status top right or bottom of page depending on hub [no need to login - depending on hub] and if could copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log, don't worry about the formatting we can easily read it.. try and avoid using screen shots..

also with a docsis network has a higher ping when it comes to gaming, but shouldn't that be a high a jump

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Resolved:

Reading some other posts I went out and bought a cheap £19 belkin router, put the VM hub into modem mode and bingo ping dropped. Although still 5ms higher, I can live with that. Some UK servers are even showing 14 ms....

Thanks for taking time to look at it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

But can that cheap £19 belkin router do M350

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yep, 1gb throughput both Lan and wan side.

2.4 and 5G also.

Tested ok.

0 Kudos