Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Ping Spikes

Over the past few weeks I have been getting massive ping spikes while which is making playing games online impossible.

I have seen many others with the same issue on this forum and wasn't sure if I should make a thread or post in someone elses.

I'm in the LN6 area. (Area reference 30).

I have been monitoring on thinkbroadband and this is a typical example of the graph I'm gettingPing issue.PNG

Do you have an estimated time for when this issue with be resolved for my area?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ping Spikes

I don't even think it's an area issue at this point. Look at how many heads have posted the similar issue of packetloss/ping spikes. Virgin clearly not telling us whats went wrong.

Even if u contact them they'll just talk rubbish to you and most likely just throw another hub at you when infact it's clearly a software bug which the technician sat their denying saying that in his 18 years hes never heard of such a thing 🙂

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Maybe their plan is to wait until enough people get fed up and leave their service that the problem will fix itself 🤔

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Maybe their plan is to wait until enough people get fed up and leave their service that the problem will fix itself 

In a word, yes.  That BQM illustrates a classic over-subscription profile, caused by more customers/internet traffic than the local network can support.  Fixing this is expensive, and VM will only do that if there's a guarantee of being able to sign up many more customers, which is not normally the case.  So, having over-sold beyond the capability of their service, the solution is to deny there's a problem, and wait for sufficient customers to leave and bring traffic down within acceptable limits.  Time to investigate your options for other ISPs.

If you're locked into a contract, VM will want an early termination fee if you leave.  If this applies do a series of (ethernet connected) speed tests at peak times, and hope that they are below the minimum guaranteed speed, because then VM either have to fix the network, or release you from contract without penalty.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look around for other suppliers and start doing the speed tests 👍

0 Kudos