Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Packet loss

Hi guys I'm having some problems with both download and upload packets loss.
This really have a massive impact on what I do which is Twitch streaming as my connection keeps dropping and this is really annoying.

Been trying to get to the bottom of this and it seems like it's down to ISP, first tried https://packetlosstest.com/ which reported a total of 100% packet loss using their stream preset!

I have just created Broadband quality monitor on thinkbroadband.com to see what is happening, you can see this here.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/85d7096844e3f3c5b73277c597d658b30d4fc216

Can someone help me with this pretty please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Packet loss

There's a bug in the hub firmware that causes it to sometimes ignore ping requests, hence the appearance of 100% packet loss.  Leave it alone long enough (sometimes hours, sometimes a few days) and it'll return to normal, or a simple power off/on restart should fix the issue.  

Here's an example of my hub a while back - even during the shown 100% packet loss my connection was working fine.

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sk8_chris20 Have you enabled the hub setting that allows ping requests? By default it doesn't allow them and results in BQMs with 100% packet loss.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi @sca1972 thank you for your reply I haven’t touched VM HUB other than switching it into modem mode so will need to look into that but I don’t think this will solve my problem which is why my Twitch Broadcasts are dropping like every hour or so.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you are in modem mode then you will need to allow pings on your 3rd party router to get a working BQM graph. I appreciate that it won't fix the issue but it can be useful for showing evidence of packet loss to VM.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You're absolutely right and I appreciate all your help, I have this enabled on my ROG GT-AX11000 just looking into VM HUB now.
I have also found awful lot of warning etc. Can't post this as it has my MAC address

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@sk8_chris20 wrote:

You're absolutely right and I appreciate all your help, I have this enabled on my ROG GT-AX11000 just looking into VM HUB now.
I have also found awful lot of warning etc. Can't post this as it has my MAC address

No need to look into the hub ping settings, when you are in modem mode it will be your Asus router that thinkbroadband is trying to ping.

The hub logs often contain warnings and errors, but not all of them are important.  Even a healthy connection will have a log full of "errors" that have no impact on the service.  If you copy and paste the hub logs into a message the forum will automatically censor any MAC or IP addresses when it is posted, although you may have to hit the Post or Preview button a couple of times to get it to accept it.

If you want to post the log and also all the figures from the Downstream and Upstream tabs we can give them a once over and see if anything looks out of spec that could be causing packet loss.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi sk8_chris20,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. My apologies for the broadband issues, I've noticed a few downstream channels are out of spec and this needs a tech. I'll PM now to book this in.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"