cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss in b70 area while playing ps5

NickWba20
On our wavelength

I've had two different engineers out in order to fix the issue but the last week I've had really bad bouts of lag. I notice it because my friends will tell me that my voice is lagging terribly in game and I have ping metres on in my online games so I can keep an eye on things while playing.  I'm on the 500mb package and I'm hooked up to the ps5 via a cat 6 cable. The two engineers said everything seemed fine checked my download and upload and my latency and said everything was good which is frustrating as its clearly not the case. I pay 45 pounds a month for 500mb and I'm very close to paying just 5 pounds more for the 900mb package from BT which will also give me fibre to the premises unlike virgin or I'm considering keeping virgin but lowering the speeds to 200 and just use it for smart tech etc then use BT gig 1 just for the gaming to allow peak performance. I shouldn't have to do this but virgin are driving me to it.

16 REPLIES 16

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Let's see how latency and packet loss are on your connection: Setup a BQM which will show if there's anything going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

If you post a copied image or screenshot, it won't update, and it may not get approved for posting.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1590dc27f792cf554a37f853c68cfc28649491dc

Does that work OK for you? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@NickWba20 wrote:

<snip>   or I'm considering keeping virgin but lowering the speeds to 200 and just use it for smart tech etc then use BT gig 1 just for the gaming to allow peak performance. I shouldn't have to do this but virgin are driving me to it.

I  have both VM and BT for redundancy. but route all my gaming traffic over BT.  I don't have any gaming issues, and the BT is only the 80/20 VDSL product.  You do not need 1GB for gaming ......

Your BQM is working, and shows packet loss, so it's a circuit problem with VM and needs fixed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

NickWba20
On our wavelength

Is this a case of virgin media sending a third engineer to me or will they need to do work on cabling /cabinet or whatever it is without coming to me?

with out having to set up a BQM is there any quick way to look for packet loss? any simple quick test?

NickWba20
On our wavelength

No a BQM is set up to keep a eye on the connection over a long period such as 24 hours. I've been meaning to set one up for a while. Make your own thread on it so I can get the necessary help with my issue and someone will respond to your issue individually. 

Regarding this circuit issue I've got with my issue. Will a technician need to come out because rhat will be my third one in a month or will virgin fix it at street level or on their end?

That will depend on the ability of VM to correctly diagnose and physically locate the problem.  That's easier said than done at the best of times, factor in that this is VM, and well............

I'd wait for the forum staff to pick this up (can be a day or two). 

Hint for the forum staff: "Everything looks within range from our side" is NOT the correct answer.

I've got very little faith in Virgin fixing the problem at all let alone any time soon. Luckily for me I'm out of contract with them in May and I have bt coming round to fit the 1gig next Monday (I can get 1 gig for 50 quid from them I'm paying 45 for 500mb from virgin) I'm still considering just dropping the virgin to 200mb and keeping it for my WiFi and smart technology then just use the BT 1gig for gaming. Need the forum staff to pick this up within the next week otherwise I'll be going to BT without even considering staying with virgin for my WiFi stuff 

Currently on the phone to a useless telephone agent from virgin I've explained I'm having latency issues and it's a circuit issue and it needs resolving otherwise I'm leaving. Same old generic answers such as what download speeds are you getting? How many devices have I got attached and trying to flog me the 1 gig. I argued I pay 45 quid a month for my Internet and it's not working properly she told me I should be grateful I'm paying that and not the 70 I said back to her would you buy a high end sports car worth a million quid for 500 grand if it didn't work properly. I think she got the point but remained useless. She claimed the issue was with PlayStation....Good old virgin. Need a forum member to pick this up.