cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PSN Error CE-33729-4 - IP Blacklisted?

ph6
Joining in

So apparently my IP was blacklisted by Sony. I can't login PSN on my PS4 or PS5 or even access the website on a browser (except when using the Hub on Modem mode).

What can I do? I've read through the responses here and they all sum up to... well, pretty much nothing. I have the Hub 4 and no Third Party router. 

I got a bad risk assessment on Akamai, quoting

"The IPv4 Address was associated with the following malicious activity:

• Scanning Tool"

As far as I know I don't have any malware on my PC. Who should I contact about this, Sony or Virgin media? I'm under the impression neither will do anything about this. Is it possible to change my IP address?

15 REPLIES 15

jem101
Superstar

Short of you getting your own router then, no there is nothing you can do to get a different IP address.

The issue really is with Sony, as they are the ones who have decided that you should be blocked. The real problem is that all of these companies use an automated set of systems, Sony ask Akemai to check your connection, Akamai seem to think you have been using some kind of scanning tool and report that your connection is ‘dodgy’ and hence Sony block you.

At no point this there any human intervention or oversight - and as this is a fairly uncommon case, neither is there usually a manual process where the customer support staff can over ride it - a case of ‘computer says no, and computer is never wrong, so tough’

Now this arrangement is not atypical of all big companies - realistically they don’t care one tiny bit about you as an individual, can’t play our games, who cares? Of course if it impacts a million users then they’ll take action, but just you - no.

So that being said, you need to work around it, VM can’t do anything about it, Sony probably could but likely don’t have a procedure for doing so, in which case you need to change your IP address and the only way of doing so is to get your own router. I assume, of course, that you haven’t actually been doing anything naughty like IP address scanning .

That is messed up. No, I haven't done anything wrong at all. Maybe my network has been infected with a malware without me knowing?

Would getting my own router be a permanent solution or is it possible that I'd have that new IP address suddenly blacklisted too?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Here's my thoughts on the subject.

1.  It sounds as if you've already been there but you can check the reputation of your IP address with aami here: 
    https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

2.  Akami don't do the blocking themselves, rather it is the end entities such as Sony, Argos etc who use Akami's reputation score to determine whether or not they want to block an IP address.

3.  Virgin Media's IP addresses are pretty static - but they do change (although often not for years at a time), so one thing that the Forum Team can check is, has your IP address changed around the time the IP block started.

4.  If the IP address hasn't changed recently then you need to come to terms with the fact that SOMETHING (not necessarily a PC) on your network has trigerred this reputation score.  Because of the way network devices and NAT works all Akami will be able to see is the IP address responsible for the activitity.

5.  Anti Virus scans don't pick up all types of Malware and even tools lke Malware bytes aren't infallible.

6.  You could raise a dispue with Akami and ask for your IP's reputation score to be cleared - BUT if they are still seeing traffic they might refuse, in addition if the device has gone quiet but starts up again, you may get relisted.

7.  If you change IP and you still have the problem on your network, then the new IP's reputation score will drop and you'll end up being blocked again.

With the above in mind I'd start by doing a full audit of any and all devices on your network,  Look at things you  might not ordinarily - We've seen Amazon Firsticks with upsupported third party software added sending spam.  In addition if you use Hola VPN then your PC becomes a conduit to third party traffic.  Android phones can also host malware.  Apple devices are less likely to because of the restrictions of the App store, but I wouldn't rule them out 100% either.

All and all remember this mantra

Just because I haven't found malware - that doesn't mean it isn't there.

Malware writers are in a constant battle to hide their activites from Anti Virus and Anti Malware vendors.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The other thing you can do is to use a reputable VPN service.  And when I say reputable, I mean "paid for, from a company with a reputation to uphold", such as Nord VPN, Express VPN, Proton VPN, Surfshark.  For a long term contract that can be as cheap as £3 a month, but most offer try before you buy, as well as more expensive short contracts or monthly rolling.  That sorts out your IP address issue, but doesn't change @ravenstar68's excellent advice about auditing your devices.  Think also of devices on the network that are out-of-support from the software supplier, cheap "internet of tat" devices that can be hijacked like unbranded security cameras, or user devices that have been used for any attempt (apparently successful or not) for dubious purposes, eg downloading "free" movies or "free" software that ought to be paid for, circumventing copy protection, anything to do with fringe activities like bypassing region content controls, or any device used by somebody overly prone to clicking "yes", "accept", "download now".  

A proper home network audit is a real pain to do for the uninitiated (and often for those with a moderate amount of experience).  An easier, if slightly less socially responsible approach is to defer that, put a cheap (£30-40) router on the back of the hub, put the hub in modem mode.  If the new IP gets blacklisted, it's almost certain that there is currently a problem device, but then you need to both do the device audit, and probably use a VPN for six months or so until the contaminated IP addresses age out of the blocked database (assuming they do). 

Hello Tyshawnh,

Sorry to hear of the problems experienced with your PlayStation and connecting to the PlayStation network, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums. Welcome to the community.

From searching here it appears to be that the issue is with Sony network or the PlayStation itself. Are you experiencing any issues with other devices at all connecting to your home network either wired or wirelessly?

We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

Thanks 

Rob

Hi Rob,

It's not a PlayStation issue. My IP has been blacklisted in a multitude of websites, from clothing stores to my own banking service. I've checked my IP reputation in multiple websites and they all come up with terrible results. Again, I can't even access my bank account, even after formatting all the devices in the house to get rid of any traces of malware.

I've exhausted all options and solutions possibly listed by Virgin Media and everywhere else online. The solution here is simple: I need a new IP address. However I've also contacted the technical support team by phone and the bottom line is even simpler: Virgin Media does not care about residential customers and refuses to help me by giving me a new IP address. 

My home network is currently useless and that's that. No will do anything about it besides link me to 'solutions' I've been trying for days already. I'll probably just have to cancel my contract early and switch to another ISP.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ph6 wrote:

<snip>    Virgin Media does not care about residential customers and refuses to help me by giving me a new IP address. 

Your IP address from VM is linked to your Hub and VM addresses are fairly "sticky" and can be the same for years.  They will not give you a new one.  Your only options are to use Modem mode to a device, or get a third party router to service all your networking devices, or wait until VM re-segment your area network (which could be never)

That's just the way it is, as the residential broadband contracts have no SLA's etc.  😞

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

VM are reluctant to change your IP because they would just be moving the problem to the next user to receive it- probably a new customer. 

Buying a new router to use modem mode needn't cost a fortune - cheaper than a year's subscription to a good VPN.   And if you are certain the block is not due to your equipment it will be a permanent solution. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi ph6, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're not able to change the IP address manually I'm afraid.

If you wish to change it then your best bet is following the advice given by our lovely VIPS. You can put your Hub in to Modem Mode by following these steps: How to put your hub into Modem Mode 

You'll need to use Port 1 to link your own third party router to your hub via ethernet cable. Once on and ready, the IP address will be different. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs