Menu
Scubbin91
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

PS4 low download speed

My PS4 is only getting speeds of around 10mb download and 2mb upload when connected via wifi to my router. Every other device gets speeds of about 50mb/5mb when connected via WiFi from the same part of the house. Until a week ago the PS4 was connected via WiFi to a Sky router and had 50mb/5mb speeds, so I know it's not an issue with the PS4. The Virgin router seems to be stopping the PS4 from getting the top speeds. It's an older PS4 so I tried splitting the WiFi signals and connecting to the lower band, and I also tried opening the ports recommended by the playstation support site, but these haven't helped.

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 low download speed

The speedtest on the PS4 is notoriously unreliable

If you have to use WiFi with the PS4 turn off smart WiFi on the hub, and turn off remote play on ps 4 if you don't or rarely use it

0 Kudos
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The PS4 is known for slow speeds at different times.

I have found putting the PS4 into rest mode, does speed up the download process.

I game on my PS4 Pro via the 5GHz band, and Modem mode with my own router, and never have any issues.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Scubbin91
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the tips. I've managed to increase the speeds it gets, but it is still significantly lower than every other device in the house. Strangely I placed my phone on top of my PS4 and ran a speed test on the phone and it was 50mb, but when I turned the PS4 on and it connected to the internet I ran the speed test again on my phone and it was down to about 15mb, same as the PS4 was getting. Almost like the PS4 created a WiFi blackspot around itself. As I said the PS4 was able to achieve the same speeds as other devices when connected to a BT hub, so I think it is an issue between the Virgin hub and PS4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry to say this the HUB is useless for gaming. Not enough computing power in it.

Put the HUB into modem mode, and you your own router.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As has already been mentioned the speed test built in to the PS4 is really bad.  I can run it a few times in a row with my Ethernet connected PS4 and get wildly different results and never anywhere near the speed results that I get on my PC and other devices.  You could try the following speed test in the PS4 browser:

https://testmy.net/multithread

It still never shows full speed but is usually a bit more consistent than the Sony test. 

As older PS4s only support the 2.4Ghz wireless band and that is the most widely used and highly congested band it is not uncommon for devices using that band to experience slow speeds.  Your other devices may be performing better by using the faster and less congested 5Ghz band or have better wireless hardware.

If you were getting better speeds with your previous ISP (Sky or BT, you mentioned both in your previous posts) is the VM hub is in the same location as the previous hub?  Is it using same wireless channel as the previous router?  i.e. are you testing like for like as much as is possible even though it is a different router?

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) so it is not something VM can control.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.

There is also a sticky post at the top of the WiFi board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

One option might be powerline adapters.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.  Consoles are always better wired and this is often the way around running a big cable between rooms if the console is not near the hub.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/  

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped