Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Slow Download & Upload Speed

Hello there,

I have a PS4 which is around 4 years old, its not the slim or pro. I have virgin media hub 3 on the 100mps tariff. On all of my other devices the speed is fine and will come up as 100mps however... 

On my PS4 its come up around 154kps for download speed and even lower on upload. I have to use a NETGEAR boosted which gets me to around 14mps download and 6mps upload. Also my playstation is around 10 yards from my router which isn't a lot. 

I have tried everything, i.e changing the MTU, DNS and even port forwarding on the router but nothing works. When I have rang Virging they want me to pay extra to get the gaming support which id rather not do. 

Can anyone please help?????

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Slow Download & Upload Speed

A booster is no good if the hub wireless is poor so you need to get your own wireless router with 1Gb ports and have the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BQM, Test for outgoing ports and SSL/L2TP VPN test
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi benchandiram, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I've had a quick look at your equipment and can see it's been some time since your hub was last rebooted.

Can you please do this and advise if you're connected to the games console via a wired or wireless connection?

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@benchandiram The original PS4 only has 2.4Ghz wireless which is a highly congested band as it is used by many wireless devices, so regardless of distance it will never give great speeds these days.

What was the model of the Netgear booster?  Was it a powerline adapter that allowed you to connect the PS4 via Ethernet?  If directly connecting via an Ethernet cable is not possible then a powerline adapter is usually the next best thing. They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than wireless.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the advice - I can find the model number out for you but don’t have it to hand right now. 

No it is wireless. 

A question I have though is that my friend has the same PS4 (age wise) and uses Sky, he is on wireless and still gets speeds of around 36-40 MPs? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alex,

I can do but have done it in the past and doesn’t change anything!

Also your support team said it is a common issue but I would have to speak to the gaming department to sort it out which costs more??? Why is this? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@benchandiram wrote:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the advice - I can find the model number out for you but don’t have it to hand right now. 

No it is wireless. 

A question I have though is that my friend has the same PS4 (age wise) and uses Sky, he is on wireless and still gets speeds of around 36-40 MPs? 

As it was a wireless booster then don't worry about the model number, wireless boosting isn't the best way to improve speeds if there is wireless interference.  

Not all wireless routers are created equal and not all environments are the same, so your friend is not using the same router as you and doesn't have the same potential environmental interference as you.  Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors (Thickness of walls and building materials used within them, mirrors, fish tanks, cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, a neighbour's wireless router, etc.) especially on the 2.4GHz band so it is not something VM can control or guarantee.

If other devices get full speed then VM are fulfilling their contract to provide the speed to the hub, after that they make no guarantees for wireless speeds on all devices.  VM can only provide support for free on their kit and services not every user device on the market.  By "gaming department" I guess they mean Gadget Rescue, although I'd avoid GR as they have a very poor reputation.  There is plenty of free advice on the web, including a sticky on the wireless part of the forum here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal/td...

You could try a quick test with the PS4 connected direct to the hub via Ethernet to see if it is just a wireless speed issue.  If it is then as I mentioned previously, if directly connecting via an Ethernet cable is not possible all the time then a powerline adapter is usually the next best thing and much better than a wireless booster:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-powerline-adapters-3490638/

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.  Although my consoles are connected via Ethernet.

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scott,

I tried using the power king adaptors and still no luck... any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@benchandiram wrote:

Hi Scott,

I tried using the power king adaptors and still no luck... any other suggestions?

Have you tried a test with the PS4 connected direct to the hub via Ethernet?  It would be best to try this to see if it improves speeds before adding any other hardware into the equation. 

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos