Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

PS4 Download speeds

For the past few days my speeds have been horrible, i have tried to download games but my download speeds just sits at 10mbps while but upload doesnt even hit 1mbps.

I have an Ps4 thats about 4 years old, not the slim or the ps4 pro. I dont understand how only its speeds are dropping but everything else in the house is fine. ive tried rebooting it, factory resetting the router too but it didnt fix anything.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: PS4 Download speeds

Hi @Drain

I'm on virgin 350 and use a LAN cable and over the last two days I've noticed a serious slow down with download speeds. Even running a speed test on the console can see the download speeds go as low as 40MB. I can put a game such as bloodborne which is just over 20GB in size in download and normally I can get that done in 19 minutes usually. Yesterday I was quoted speeds of 3 hours. I've seen some articles and some people online stating that Sony are throttling the speeds on the downloads to ensure the network stays stable and doesn't go down during lock down. Sony confirmed this was going to happen at the end of March. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This could be due to heavy throttling in your area and that fact everyone's working from due to COVID 19 does not help.

Try downloading something at 3am to see if your connection is still throttled at that time which I highly unlikely.

Just a suggestion/, not a fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sorry to hear this. 

However, it is nothing to do with Virgin Media, Sony have throttled this due to the pandemic so that they can maintain service at all times instead of dropping out say at peak times. Generally people are getting anywhere between a 5mb/s to 10mb/s throttle from what I have been seeing.

I'm sure you prefer to have a game take longer to download than not at all nor able to play online.

I too hope this changes soon, but it wont be till the world begins to go back to normal.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a Service Field Technician at Virgin. However, all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Harvey thanks for sharing that very specific information. When you say people have had 5/10mbs throttle do you mean it's in between 5 and ten MB per second people are downloading files at or that are having 5/10 mb knocked off their total Internet download size such as 350mb down to 340 in my case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Sony download speeds that I am hearing people report are caped to 5mb/s to 10 mb/s. Everything else (apart from other company caps too) should be full speed, so if you are on a 350mb/s package, on everything else that has not throttled it down should still be full speed.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Here is the announcement from Sony about managing download traffic:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2020/03/24/preserving-internet-access-for-the-entire-community/

My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not much good being able to download 9gb of a game in minutes only for it to slow right down with another 25gb to download. BS from Sony 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sony PSN has always been slow even before COVID19.

I find it easier to put the PS4 into REST MODE, this downloads faster.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Not for me I've just had my full bloodborne download shoot from 19 minutes of downloading the full game to three hours plus due to this sudden throttle. This is the time we need to be able to download games 

0 Kudos