Menu
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 21 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: “Over Utilisation”

The dates are estimated fix dates for that reason.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 22 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Oh ok. So how many further date estimations would we deem acceptable here? 10? 20? 50?.........................................

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 23 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Depends on your own personal “limit”. 

Mine would be “until it’s fixed”. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 24 of 33
Flag for a moderator

To be delayed until the lockdown ends and we return to mediocre service that is relitively stable is what they are offering, the moment unions & politicans stop using covid as a political weapon (the covid scam) and I  can get a line put in I am gone I have already closed this account once and had to delay till the Unions, Liebour & Liberal Globalists stop playing games & MSM stop with the BS scare tactics.

I guess I'm one of the most vulnerable over a year on immuno suppressants and any disease can be bad bad news but having to avoid all infections for more than a year I know most advice given re covid is rubbish more than 50% of infections enter body through the eyes & glasses offer better protection than a face mask.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 25 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@MikeEpps wrote:

Oh ok. So how many further date estimations would we deem acceptable here? 10? 20? 50?.........................................

Yeah any of those, I think I had about 40+ estimated dates for fixes come and go, however these dates do normally fix one thing or move bandwidth around, its not as simple as its fixed overnight in most cases.

Matt
If I've helped please let me know 🙂

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 26 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
"now sell as much capacity as they can betting everyone never turns up at the same time "
that is called contention and its used by all ISP.

No ISP or in fact NO network in general can support full speeds at all times. not even yours.

if you had a 1gbps network drive on your network and 2 computers that could access it. If you access it one computer at a time you get 1gbps. If you both try and access it you get 500mbps each even though both PC have a gigabit connection.

10Tbps Submarine lines can not support they can support 1000 of VM gig customers. The whole idea of internet and networks relies on contention.

Don;t want connection you can get lease lines. The going rate is about £1/mbps. So you want 500M its £500/month after install costs

But the missing piece is that the customer is not provided with information to make an informed decision - typically whether to stay or leave.
If OFCOM had any balls then they would force ISPs to publish bandwidth contention ratios on local loops and from exchanges (headends) to core.

Plus OFCOM should force companies, under the terms of the licence, to guarantee fix dates.
Don't have x% of your network within y% of the specified contention by z% of the original fix dates then your licence is at risk.

The fact remains; VM can add customers to segments with relative ease (self install) but expanding capacity on a segment can be really difficult / expensive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 27 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Hi guys, 

Can we please keep the conversation on topic and be respectful to one another. 

There were also a couple of inappropriate posts on this thread which I have now removed. 

Please also note that further off-topic posting may result in individual warnings, review the Forum Guidelines for more information.

Thanks, 

Dean 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 28 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Basically "yep, this is normal, have fun" is the message I've taken from most of this. Brill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 29 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Basically "yep, this is normal, have fun" is the message I've taken from most of this. Brill

As previously advised, there's no effective regulation of VM by OFCOM, either to stop VM's disreputable practice of flogging contracts that they don't have the local bandwidth to support, or to provide the information that Eeeps describes above.  So where this leaves you is with a crap connection, and no useful information from VM on whether they really intend to expand capacity, and a track record that shows they rarely do invest to fix over utilisation.

To make matters worse, at the moment, they're using Covid as a catchall excuse for network issues, when actually it doesn't have any material bearing on over utilisation, because home working doesn't use much bandwidth.  

Time to find another ISP, I'm afraid.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 30 of 33
Flag for a moderator

"No ISP or in fact NO network in general can support full speeds at all times. not even yours."

That's true but why only Virgin Media has huge latency on oversold areas? Because VM works with a much more tight margin of contention. For what? for money of course. 

That said, the worst thing is the lack of transparency and the lies. My area has a ticket (F007908422) it was postponed from 02/04/2020 to 14/05/2020 and 27/05/2020 to an unknown date so far. Of course, it'll be postponed until the lockdown is gone.

Lack of truth is the most annoying thing ever. I can't wait for my last 5 months of contract to finish. 

0 Kudos