cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PS5 faster on wifi?

TouchingCloth
Up to speed

Hi folks, apologies if this is covered elsewhere but a search found nothing.

Connection via ethernet give me as low as 45Mb download speed up to a max thi so far of 60,  as opposed to 400 plus via wifi.

I have 600 service and the brand new hub 5 so minimum port speed is rated a 1 Gbps with one a 2.5, this is currently used by my 360 tv box.

Not dissapointed with the wifi speed of course but puzzled as to the very low ethernet speed in comparison. 

Any ideas what I can tweak on the hub to make it behave. Resets have been tried with no effect. 

4 REPLIES 4

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you try another ethernet cable?

Hi jb66,

I have tried 3 of my existing cables, one of which is the cable that came with the 360 tv box. That's not to say they are all under par of course. And the other 2 have been with me a few years. So it might be cable related.

I also checked my connection via netflix apps on my vm360 box, my tv, and ps5. TV and vm 360 box run at about 110 to125Mb on the test via ethernet. This can climb as high as 230 on the vm 360 box at times. TV is limited and running at max through put due to its network card.  Ps5 was only showing 60 to 70. TV will show upwards of 300Mb on Netflix if connected via wifi too so its normally on wifi. I might try the Vm 360 via wifi to see if that improves too

Ports on hub are used for virgin 360 box, wifi extender and games console. Soundbar is also connected but that's really only use for updates as I don't stream music very often. Wondered if the hub was doing some sort of throttling/balancing in the back ground as it's supposed to be smart. 

Obviously the speeds I'm getting are more than adequate in all scenarios.  Just odd wifi is so high in comparison.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TouchingCloth wrote:

<snip>   Wondered if the hub was doing some sort of throttling/balancing in the back ground as it's supposed to be smart. 

No, it's not that smart, believe me ....  🙂

Try a full 60 second factory pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Do you have another ethernet device to test the speed with, e.g. laptop, PC?  The cable should be a known good Cat 6a and connected directly to the Hub with no extenders etc.  Try www.samknows.cpm/realspeed to check what speed is getting to the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Adduxi,

I'll give this a go and let you know. Thanks for the suggestion all the same