cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower Ping and Latency - is it possible?

braincomplexa
Tuning in

Hi, I don't know how else to put this other than as a 1st world problem, but how may I reduce my ping in COD Warzone for example from an average of 45ms to say 20ms on average? I'm looking to play seriously at home and not casually.

My current package is M100 Fibre and I use a TP LINK WPA4220 powerline adapter which has given me the download speeds I want to the location where my PC is, but my ping and latency seems to be the same whether I'm using the powerline adapater or directly connected to the HUB 3 downstairs through Ethernet...

So it makes me wonder is it down to FTTP vs FTTC? Sadly, the only broadband company providing fibre is Virgin in my area, but I'm willing to go down in speed if required to get the best latency and ping, if that's the only solution. 

Ofcom report for latency shows Virgin seems to be one of the worst when it comes to latency but not massively worse, but I'm wondering am I gonna have to change providers, even though I don't want to as I just joined Virgin, to get around say 20ms ping on average in my games... Or is there a workaround for an engineer to fix which I'm willing to pay for, of course. 

I haven't tried portforwading, but I'm willing to try it if someone knowledgeable suggests so, also I can provide the necessary tests and pics to diagnose and show my connection. I have indeed been running a BQM since two days ago.

Any help is greatly appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ak1975
Dialled in

When I was with Virgin my latency was around 20-30 ms when pinging google.com, then they installed a 10 dB attenuator and the latency went down to 13-15 ms, and now I'm with BT FTTP and my latency is around 7ms. I hope that helps.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing package won't make a difference with ping or latency, ping is higher as its different technology to DSL/FTTC/P

So I'm only learning about this fact after I built a new gaming PC, I thought the faster internet, ie fibre optic, would mean lower ping. Alas, that doesn't seem be the case as you say different technology and all. Thanks, I'll have to figure out a different solution then.

ak1975
Dialled in

When I was with Virgin my latency was around 20-30 ms when pinging google.com, then they installed a 10 dB attenuator and the latency went down to 13-15 ms, and now I'm with BT FTTP and my latency is around 7ms. I hope that helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
norhing you can do. Cable ping is going to be higher than DSL/open reach providers.
40ms you won't even notice.

Anonymous
Not applicable
no way you had a 50db attenuator that would have killed your connection.

You are right, it's a 10 dB attenuator and not 50 dB

Anonymous
Not applicable
that would be due to the power levels not reason to suspect that here. but if the Op wants them checking

Post the power levels from the hub http://192.168.0.1

If the OP is concerned about the DOCSIS overhead compared to VDSL, then they need to look up the difference between latency and ping, they need to consider that their mouse finger reaction to visual stimulus is around 200ms.  The best gamers can win on really poor connections because they have the innate skill to predict the actions of others (whether this is poker or CSGO).   I could game on a 1 nanosecond ping rig, and I'd still be crap. 

If the OP wants to maximise their chances, I suspect that so long as their VM connection is getting latency of around 35ms or less, the biggest improvement to their gaming would be a monitor and graphics setup that refresh at 144 Hz or faster (if they're rich, that is).  

I have no clue what DOCSIS or VDSL is, so I'll have to check that out.

And I have indeed got a new high refresh monitor and built a PC that can keep up with the high FPS, so yeah I have done that part, although I am definitely not rich, haha. Didn't research my part about different technologies and different pings though since I joined Virgin a month ago now.

But maybe you're right and I am making this a bigger deal than it is, because my latency in Warzone for example starts at around 50ms than gradually goes down to 35ms on average, so maybe I don't have a massive disadvantage. But I'll call Virgin to see if they can do anything on their part, otherwise I think I'll be fine either way too for another 11 months at least.