cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency

DERF444
On our wavelength

Hard wired, cat 8 cable. Latency is around 30ms. Wireless test gets 14ms. What's going on? When I was with Virgin a couple of years ago on old type of hub I was getting 18ms. How can I fix this. Brand new cable. Tried various DNS. Any clues?

20 REPLIES 20

Client62
Hero

How the latency is being measured ?

Share the Latency & Jitter results from ...

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

DERF444
On our wavelength

Thanks for the link. All comes back with lower latency than I can get on my Xbox X console through hard wired ethernet cable, why's that?

Xbox X console latency stats will depend on where in the world the target server is located, with more distance comes greater the latency.

DERF444
On our wavelength

Yes, I understand the server situation, I change the DNS several times. To date the best is 26ms hard wired, while wireless it is either the same or lower!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Different server likely
---------------------------------------------------------------

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi DERF444, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 😊

I am sorry you are having some issues with Latency, I have checked our systems and all looks fine since your post.

Are you still having issues?

Zoie

DERF444
On our wavelength

Yes, the issue is having done various test for latency through WiFi to the hub. The hub reads 14ms on WiFi but when hard wired the best to date is 26ms on Xbox X console on cat 8 ethernet cable, how is this, surely I should be getting the same or less. I have tried various DNS all with the same results. Am I expecting to much?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Unless there is some trickery on newer hubs or maybe your console that delays packets for Ethernet we don't know.

what you get on PC?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Is DNS changing business a bar room tip for gamers ?

The reality is all working DNS the return exactly the same result.

Check it out for yourself ...   visit    https://www.nslookup.io/

try bbc.com  it has IPv4 & IPv6 servers.