Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Latency / Packet Loss / General Connection Issues

• So for the past 2-3 months we've been receiving huge latency issues in our small 3 bedroom flat, used to float around the high 30s which in itself isn't great but recently and especially in the past 48 hours it's ranging between 150 to even the high 300s and even reaching 400+ last night around midnight. Any info on how we can fix this permanently? Or if there is issues in our area? (Pl46ep) or if it's an issue with our hub? I've called many times and just got the same everything is fine there is nothing we can do. Our flat is tiny with few walls and we have to use an extended (NETGEAR AC 750) just to reach the 'back' rooms. We're on the cusp of changing to Sky after some research suggesting they're the best for low latency gaming but really can't be **bleep** with changing.

Thanks in advance

• Jacob
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Latency / Packet Loss / General Connection Issues

Hello Jacob

When was the last time you powered off the device I would recommend doing that then turn router on first wait for lights to stablize and then turn on your router.

Are you using the Hub in router or modem only mode ?

Has you setup a BQM "Broadband Quality Monitor" from https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

I myself wouldn't recommend wireless for gaming as wireless can be prone to interference and can affect your latency.

Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The problem could be related to your wireless setup, it could be the cable connection.  And potentially it is a combination of both.

To check the cable connection, I'd suggest you connect to your router and without logging in, post the Upstream, Downstream and Network logs tabs here, and somebody can look for an obvious problem with the connection.  Then, log in to the router, navigate to Advanced settings>Tools>Network status and see what the pre-RS and post RS errors are.  If they're double digit numbers for pre-RS, and 0-10 for post RS errors that's fine.  If the error numbers are much different then post the table showing the errors here as well.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. Was reset 2 days ago but finding myself resetting at least every fortnight due to issues. It's in hub mode, I looked at modem mode but says wifi won't be available in modem mode? Unfortunately due to the flat layout and positioning of the router/bedrooms a cable connection is just not possible - I know gutting aha.

Was fine last night again around the high 30s all day/evening but boot up today and back to the high 300s - I'm just confused as to why its fluctuating so much...?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi JWarna,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community,

Sorry that you're having some latency issues at the moment on a wireless connection, I can appreciate you're keen to understand what is going on. 

I've had a look at the backend of the services and been unable to find any issues for the services entering your property. It looks like there are some problems with your in house management with some devices being too close to the hub. This may cause some interference with your wireless connection. You can find more information on improving this here.

I appreciate you've said that your flat layout makes it difficult to have a cabled connection. Have you thought about getting a longer ethernet cable? 

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for replying, yes very frustrating!

There's actually nothing around the hub apart from the phone, tv box and tv (it's not some bluetooth wireless smart tv also) and unfortunately I can't move the hub any further as the cable from the wall is only about a metre long. To give you a rough idea of the layout... Imagine a U shape, the hub (front room) is at one end while the bedrooms (so my xbox etc) are at the other, in the middle are stairs leading up to flat 2 (we're flat 1, ground floor out of 2) with the extender set up at the bottom of the U, I've tested everywhere and this is position has the strongest signal. The flat isn't big by any means and if you were to measure hub-my tv/xbox it would be roughly 7-8 meters.

I like to think I'm quite a tech savvy person and I've tried everything I can think of + what others have suggested, I don't know what else I can do to improve it without spending £200 on a 'gaming router' and even then that probably won't solve anything.

Q is it possible to have the hub moved? Maybe to the back of the flat (bottom of the U)? That's the only thing I can think of to improve the connection from router to the bedrooms

Thanks for your time

Jacob

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Also yes technically we could route a long ethernet through the flat but my mrs wouldn't be very happy so that's a no haha

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jwarna,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can appreciate that you say you've not got any devices that use a lot of broadband, however in the link I provided earlier this shows that any form of electrical devices can cause interference.

Just to clarify - do you mean you get the strongest signal near to the extender or that is best position for it to be at the bottom of the U?

Is there anywhere else you can set up extender to help boost it your signal?

It is possible to have the hub moved, which could improve the signal, however there would be a £99.00 charge for this.

Thanks

Melissa 

0 Kudos