Rising star
Message 21 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just switched to Virgin - High ping

@ravenstar68 wrote:

That's the latest version.

Mines much better than yours.

My Broadband Ping - Raven IPv4

Although it's by no means perfect.  The SH2ac was so much better in this regard 😞

Tim

I assume you're running something once an hour to cause those spikes ?

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 22 of 53
Flag for a moderator

@vikei48 wrote:

I am not home to double check, but I remember it was 9.1.116.608 last time I had a look. 

assuming you're on 608 then yes there's a problem with your connection that needs an engineer visit 

Edit this is what your BQM should look like (though mine was better until a recent IP address change)November 2018 BQM.png

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 53
Flag for a moderator

@tonycv51 wrote:

@vikei48 wrote:

I am not home to double check, but I remember it was 9.1.116.608 last time I had a look. 

assuming you're on 608 then yes there's a problem with your connection that needs an engineer visit 

Edit this is what your BQM should look like (though mine was better until a recent IP address change)November 2018 BQM.png

Even without the evidence of the BQQM- I'd agree with you based on the Post RS's

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 53
Flag for a moderator

There's a Samknows box attached.  I think that might be responsible for the spikes

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
vikei48
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the support and the replied guys.

As you can imagine, the situation is still the same. Few days ago I experienced small disconnects which they told me was due to a fault in the area. Today however, the ping spikes are back, together with loss of connection.

An engineer would be ideal now. Whenever I phone to explain the issue, I get nowhere. I have changed cables, the router has updated, the issues appear regardless of wired or wireless connection. It gets even more frustrating as time goes on.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 26 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi vikei48,

Thank you for getting back in touch. 

I have taken a look in to your account and ran some checks and in all honesty, everything looks good from our side.  I appreciate this is not the case for you and you are still experiencing issues with high ping.

A further check shows that we recently experienced a fault within your area which was closed as resolved yesterday (17th Feb). Have you seen any improvements to the service over the last couple of days?

Thanks, 

Nat
0 Kudos
vikei48
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Natalie,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have not experience any disconnects anymore, but I have started to experience lag while playing online, even with a wired connection. Also, the BQMs are same as before. I just want to find out what's the root cause, as these are issues I never had with the previous provider and they began right after I switched to Virgin.

0 Kudos
Lee2
Dialled in
Message 28 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Why did you switch from sky to virgin? You've made a big mistake there as sky are rated the best ISP for gaming while I understand virgin are the best for speed, they are actually the worst for packet loss and jitter. I'd rather have a slower and stable connection with sky than have a fast and unstable one with virgin. Are you still in Ur 2 week cooling period? I'd advise you to cancel and go back to sky

0 Kudos
vikei48
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 53
Flag for a moderator

My fault there. Had I done my research then, I wouldn't have these issues.

I've been with virgin for a few months now, so I will wait until the end of year. 

0 Kudos
vikei48
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 53
Flag for a moderator

I will keep writing until something happens.

I have switched to using only wired connections when possible to avoid random disconnects. It worked for a while but a few days ago and today again I keep getting very frequent losses of service which last for a few seconds but disrupt any online game I play.

This is what the BQM seems like now:

8d0838f07f2904e1dadea72b16a0f123dfc4103f-28-03-2019

0 Kudos