Menu
Fibre optic
Message 41 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge latency issues recently, please help!

Unlikely, but it's impossible to say. xDSL connections are less prone to these types of congestions issues, but more prone to distance and signal interference issues that pull speed down instead. That said, you will almost certainly get better overall latency on a DSL based connections, at least compared to what you currently get.

As for the fault in question, I feel you're being lead a bit astray both by VM and the VIP helping you. The fix dates you are being told are usually just review dates in practice. They are the next date someone in VM networks will check on the ticket to see what's happening. Something may happen when it's checked, a chase up of equipment, or checking if planning permission has been granted if road works are required to resolved, etc. But in most cases the fix date won't involve a direct resolution to the issue (no new capacity installed). It will eventually of course, but this is why the 'fix' dates change so much.

On shorter lived issues like local SNR faults the fixes are usually quickly rolled out, but congestion faults usually require extensive planning and equipment roll outs, so they go through many steps (dates) and just take quite a while to resolve in general.

Speaking of time frames, it was being suggested above that 5 months is a long time for this kind of issue ("at least 5 months"). To be brutally honest, for a fault like this I don't think 5 months is an unusually long time. From what I've seen and personally experienced I would say the average resolution time I see for congestion faults is probably around 9 months to a year. Yes that is a long time in general, but there's no point beating about the bush here. I've been with VM under it's various guise for the last 21 years, and in that time I've been subjected to 5 separate congestion faults. The quickest took 9 months to resolve, 3 took around a year or so and the final (last) issue took 2 1/2 years.

I would say that VM have seemed a little better with these faults recently then they have in past so maybe you'll get sorted a little faster, but I wouldn't get your heart set too much on the next fix date at least. Switching providers is always the fastest solution if it's dire and you have good alternative options in your area.

Tuning in
Message 42 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to use these over utilisation issues as a way to get out of a contract early? I'm stuck with Virgin until March next year I think. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 43 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Is it possible to use these over utilisation issues as a way to get out of a contract early? I'm stuck with Virgin until March next year I think. 

Probably, but you'd need to phone up and ask to cancel penalty free, likely be refused, raise a formal and probably written complaint, probably be refused again, and then escalate to the arbitration scheme CISAS - where it would be cheaper for VM to release you than to hold out in the hope CISAS side with the company.  If going to CISAS, ask for immediate release from contract without penalty, compensation for the poor service thus far, and refund of all VM charges from the date they accepted your complaint.  

You can't go to CISAS for eight weeks from the date VM accept a complaint (although if you've got a complaint about the problem already running you can escalate off of that).  So it may take three months or so if VM won't play ball.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos