Menu
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge lag spikes whilst playing online

Most say its upstream utilisation but in 2020 why is this still a problem? do some areas have better Docsis hardware for the upstream for better QoS? what if VM QoS the upstream after Docsis maybe that would help? or maybe too many people have infected devices doing a DoS? 

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Beckmech
Tuning in
Message 12 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

So last week I got a text from Virgin saying they were going to be doing work in my area today (I had completely forgot they sent that) and today my internet went down from 9am until about 1pm. 

Whatever they did seems to have remedied the issue. My maximum pings are now at around 40ms with it averaging at around 25ms which is great. If they stick to this level I'll be happy.

I'll continue monitoring it and update if anything changes.

Today's BQM showing the difference:

Beckmech_0-1606840908908.png

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/da4592c4b4a5715cfea2a5e7a8d3e2c933bbc6ca-01-12-2020
0 Kudos
DThornCR5
Tuning in
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I’m in area 03, Croydon... lag is a huge pain the arse for online gaming and my speeds are so intermittent and spikey, it makes working and gaming a nightmare. Have you seen any comms from virgin or a potential fix outside or leaving them?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Beckmech. thanks for getting back to us.  I hope your improved service is continuing all these months on?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 15 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi DThornCR5 thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear that you're having lag issues and the impact it's having on your ability to play online gaming and indeed do your job.  Are these the only times you're noticing the issues?  Or is it your internet as a service overall?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos