Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4 pings high

I'm using the superhub 4 downstairs. My Xbox one is upstairs but when my son plays Fortnite he has 1000 ping. Tried the virgin connect app but this won't connect to the router. Any help would be great. Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4 pings high

Hi Wayne,
Also a Gig1 customer, and must say I'm extremely disappointed in the quality of the hub4, in order to get mine to behave a bit better I've got a small laptop cooler fan sat underneath it with duct tape around the gaps to force the airflow through the router which massively cools it down as it runs far too hot without a fan, this actually makes it alot more stable in my experience, if you're actually using the hub4 in router mode, that would likely explain alot of the issues, do yourself a favour look about at what routers people recommend using with Virgin (Nighthawk series is popular) and run the hub4 in modem mode, you'll get a much better experience this way, and you'll experience less lag spikes! You'll also get much much better ping by using a fixed connection rather than wireless with less spiking as a result of wireless.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the answer. I got the hub 4 due to being advertised as superior wireless range but it appears to be worse than my old hub 3. Can't understand that the Xbox says the signal is good but he's getting 1000 ping. As soon as I connect my old velop mesh downstairs and upstairs he gets 29 ping bit the game still lags. Very frustrating

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I take it he’s using a wired connection?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Wireless. The connection is terrible upstairs. Download speeds really low and crazy high pings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Waynep1977 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. I got the hub 4 due to being advertised as superior wireless range but it appears to be worse than my old hub 3. Can't understand that the Xbox says the signal is good but he's getting 1000 ping. As soon as I connect my old velop mesh downstairs and upstairs he gets 29 ping bit the game still lags. Very frustrating

Why stop using the Velop, if the signal is better?  Personally, cable the Xbox as it's inherently better than Wifi.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That will explain the high ping then.

Run a wired connection or invest in a mesh system to boost the wifi performance 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have a mesh system but still get high pings. I only have 2 nodes so I'm thinking of investing in a couple more. Also considering powerlines. Possibly be better to get someone in to run an ethernet cable through the ceiling. Thanks for everyone's help. 

0 Kudos