Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4.0 possible latency fix?

New article I found this morning which actually mentions (latency issues) might be hope yet

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/04/virgin-media-to-extend-hub-4-availability-for-wifi-boo... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4.0 possible latency fix?

Hub 4 is still an Intel Puma chip like the Hub 3, however the latency issues have largely been resolved in the Hub 3. The current huge increase in latency people are seeing on VM is down to congestion in some areas due to the current 'lockdown'.

The Hub 4 could help with this as it can bond more downstream channels but the latency problems are mostly down to upstream congestion.

If you're suffering from slow download speeds the Hub 4 might help, but if the problem is upload speeds it probably won't make a difference.

Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@cje85 wrote:

The current huge increase in latency people are seeing on VM is down to congestion in some areas due to the current 'lockdown'.

Not for all of us. My problems (and a number of others) started coinciding with a Hub 3.0 software update. I had the hub replaced (replacement was running 'old' firmware again) and it worked fine for 3 weeks until that too was upgraded, and the problem started to recur immediately. Both of these events were before the current lockdown started.

There appears to be an issue for some people running Hub 3.0 in modem mode experiencing very variable latency after an update to the latest firmware.

I'd love to try out a Hub 4.0 to see if it helps with my issues.

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

True that there has been a surge off latency problems since lockdown but I'm not hearing these problems with other providers, they seem to be handling this lockdown fine. But also true is that there a is quite of few of us on here that have had these issues since before lockdown. Mine started around December and have just got worse since lockdown.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Mine started since the lockdown.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Then it is likely that your issue is just due to oversubscription in your area.

However, others of us started having problems before the lockdown, which coincided with a SuperHub 3.0 software update. This is a different issue.

Andy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Agreed, my issue has been around since around August/September last year. 

0 Kudos