Menu
Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How do i stop ddos attacks

Been ddos multiple times playing league play on black ops 4 is there anything i could do too prevent this.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do i stop ddos attacks

not if you let attackers get your ip address

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: How do i stop ddos attack

Can you explain a solution, i dont have a pc to set up anything?

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

There is no way to stop a DDoS attack, you either wait it out, get more downstream bandwidth than the attack, or change your IP address. Options 1 and 3 are the only ones you could do, option 3 you can do by putting your Hub into modem mode if it isn't already and using your own router.

The best protection against DDoS attacks is to not do anything that's likely to get you DDoS'd in the first place, don't be aggressive over voice chat, stuff like that.
If you were on PC you could use a VPN to mask your IP address whilst playing online if for some reason you were a constant target of attacks, but as you're on a console you'd need a router with VPN client capabilities and those may present issues for gaming anyway.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

there are reasons massive companies spend £Millions on DDoS protection. A DDoS can not be stopped without massive amounts of money. They work because of this. They are almost impossible to stop.

Its even worse if you use services that have to share your IP. Webservers and mail servers get attached because you can't hide where a website is without taking the site offline.

The problem is how you are under attack you are a high risk to DDoS protection companies and the price to help you may well more than double.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Liamlyon96
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Im on console and not doing anything wrong, since i started playing league play i keep getting booted offline for few mins usually by full 5 man teams they usually boot majority for a free win.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
carlevans459
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To change the IP address you can stop ddos attacks, for this purpose you can use VPNs, but you are very likely to have more connectivity issues.

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Using a VPN does not stop an active DDoS attack as it does not change your real IP address.

Using a VPN helps prevent your connection being attacked as a proactive measure by obfuscating your real IP address, you still have the same real IP address but your outbound packets are tunnelled through the VPN so reach the destination using the IP address of the VPN exit node rather than reaching the destination from your own IP address.

Obfuscating your IP address is useless if the attacker already knows it.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

but if the VPN IP is ddosed it can still take the services down running on it

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It can, but assuming you're using one of the larger VPN services they should have sufficient capacity to just soak the attack. Plus unlike if your own connection is attacked if that scenario occurred you'd just need to change VPN endpoint and it'd be fine.
0 Kudos