Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

High latency spikes - Games unplayable

Hi.

For last 4-5 weeks now I have been getting latency issues whilst trying to game, PC mostly which is hardwired via my SH3.

I rang up the guys are virgin before the call centres closed down, and they said nothing was wrong with my service and was nothing they would do. 

As the last few weeks have gone on its gotten worse, last night my connection wasn't stable till roughly 11:30. 

I'm aware that network usage is high right now, but is there no way to stabilise things? i have a vivid 350 connection. I am currently getting (as of this morning) avg of 130-150M down and 30MB up. Now if this has been done to try and stabilise things then I dont mind, but its still rocky and people havent even logged on yet really. I also invested £90 in a netgear router in order to have some QoS and modem mode has been recommended multiple times but for some reason despite following ALL the guides my think broadband service doesnt read my connection since switching to modem mode and just shows 100 percent packet loss.

Pictures attached below.

typical eveningtypical eveningAfter modem modeAfter modem modeNET stas 2 27th.PNGNET Stats 1.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency spikes - Games unplayable

todaytoday

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Run a puma 6 test, just google it, and post your results.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Spandecks,

I am a Virgin Technician and due to the COVID-19 I am self-isolating :(, I am unable to help customers in person and so i am available to help others with my personal experience gained from years of solving many complex service and installations jobs.

I could do a diagnostic for you if you wish? Pm me and i can try to help further.

Leave a Kudo if this helps.

Kind regards,
Virgin Media Field Technician.
Afshin

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Superfast
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/03/covid-19-snapshot-of-internet-traffic-from-ee-and-virg...

Despite increased demand for its services, Virgin Media said their network has “ample capacity and is continuing to provide customers with the ultrafast and reliable services they expect at this critical time.”]

Yeah looks like it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I had a couple of days where my experience was less interrupted but its gone back to its norm and feel like I have to accept this level of service despite the premium I am paying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The results of the puma 6 test.

49ms : xxxx
50ms : x
51ms : xxx
52ms : x
53ms : x
54ms : xxxxxxx
55ms : xxxxxxx
56ms : xxx
57ms : xxxx
59ms : xxx
60ms : xxxxxx
61ms : xxx
62ms : xx
63ms : xxxx
65ms : xxx
66ms : xxx
67ms : xx
68ms : xx
69ms : xxx
70ms : x
71ms : xxx
72ms : xx
73ms : xx
74ms : xxx
75ms : xx
76ms : xx
77ms : xxxx
78ms : x
79ms : xxxx
80ms : xxx
81ms : xx
82ms : xxx
83ms : xxx
85ms : xxxxx
86ms : xxxxxx
87ms : xx
88ms : xx
89ms : x
90ms : xxxx
91ms : xxxxx
92ms : xxx
93ms : x
97ms : xx
100 - 149ms :xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
150 - 199ms :xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
200 - 249ms :xx
250 - 299ms :x
300 - 349ms :xx
350 - 399ms :x
400 - 449ms :xx

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Have you updated your IP address on the ThinkBroadband BQM, the public IP address changes based on the MAC address of the new router being attached to the modem (Hub 3) so you will need to update this.

I would also remind you to make sure the new router is setup to accept/respond to ICMP/Echo requests on the WAN port.

Matt - M350 Customer with Hub 4 in Router Mode

If I've helped please let me know 🙂

10 years in Technical Customer Service, Construction Trades and Administration - Now I'm a Furloughed Chef
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have created a new graph now with a new IP, will see how that goes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos