Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 21 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency + packet loss

I have the hub in modem mode then wired to a netgear r7000 router then wired to laptop/console unless u mean laptop/console wired straight from hub I have tried this with the old hubs but not the new one it never made a difference with old hubs but I couldn't see any reason not try with new hub though 

I have been running the bqm test on thinkbroadband for a little under a week now I have noticed whenever I play games on my console the latency spikes quiet alot usually around 8 PM but for the most part when I'm not playing games on my console the latency is pretty low and even across all days 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post Jasonpagett

I'm sorry to see that you're still having issues

Seeing as we've sent three hubs to combat this issue for you, I'm going to book a technician and will drop you a PM to confirm the time and date of this appointment

Kindest regards,

David

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator

A big shout out to bob253 who has hit the nail on the head.

After 10 years of online gaming with no issues, starting with 2mb on a second hand router to now currently on 200mb on a SH3, I am also getting lag spikes since December.

I know an open reach engineer who also said the problem is too many people on the network.

It doesn't matter if i speak to these offshore call centers or the forum team of this website after posting BQM's the answer is the same. "everything looks fine on our end" when there is clearly an issue not just for me but many others on these forums.

I even got sent to Gadget Rescue after phoning virgin broadband because apparently the problem was with my PS4 and they were as much use as a chocolate fire guard so got them charges removed from the bill.

Our bills are increased by £6 a month to 'improve services' but when will this be?

Something tells me I won't still be with Virgin long enough to find out
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Agree with parr86lid2. Had the exact same experience going through every support channel. So far they have been completely useless. I think the only way to do this is to go on social media / change providers. Might just have to vote with our wallets.

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi!!!

I'm having almost same problem. I'm getting high latency and some packet loss which is not acceptable for doing video conferencing from home. I have tried on a wired connection, modem mode, and different devices, all of them with the same result.

Of course, rebooting and reseting modem didn't help.

I'm attaching the tests screenshots.

Thanks! 

thinkbroadband.pngping.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

yup same issue here, after over an hour on the phone got told to reset it and then to pay MORE money for a powerline adapter, even though i already have a brand new TP link powerline adapter. 

This is absolutely ridiculous, I wish i'd never left Sky.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

After 4 months of claims... I'm sorry to say that the problem is still the same. Congestion from 10am till 6pm. As I'm unable to do video conferencing from home and I was forced to get a second broadband provider (over copper pair) and it works like a charm.

I have no complaints about Virgin bandwidth that is huge but they are having serious latency problems that makes it unusable for some applications.

I suggest anyone considering to use broadband for videoconferencing/voip/gaming to be very careful with Virgin media offers (I'm in SE London area)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hello gabrielc

Really sorry to hear resorting to a 2nd supplier has had to happen

I am happy to look a few things from here if you like 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos