Menu
Fojjit
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

High Latency/Ping - Yorkshire

Hello all,

I'm currently at wits end with my Virgin media wifi. Tried contacting support, they just fob me off/put me on hold.

Currently subscribe to M350 and it had been great up until mid last year, then since this latest lockdown I have had unbearable ping. I've restarted several times, restored to factory settings, checked connection etc. but still inconsistent ping.

Does anyone know whether it's over utilisation and whether Virgin are doing anything about it in the Leeds area? Going to have to change provider but I'm going to give it another week or so to see if it picks up.

Any help of how to fix this would be hugely appreciated!

BQM monitor - 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/f4512bbbf9f6a07fa6242d4ea9d056c4adf34c01-15-01-2021

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency/Ping - Yorkshire

Yes, that's over-utilisation.  No way of knowing if VM are doing anything about it - even if there's a fault reference and a fix date, that is no guarantee of anything being done. 

If this is due to Covid-related home working by people around you, then there's the hope it will resolve itself when we get out of the situation, but that looks like being some months yet.  And if WFH becomes the new normal, it could go on a lot longer.  If you're hoping or expecting VM to be able and willing to resolve this, you might be pleasantly surprised but based on the track record of customers subject to the same problem, I'd say dial your expectation down low. If VM believe it is purely Covid related then they'd be mad to invest money and time to fix it, as the problem might disappear before the work has been planned, scheduled and completed.

If low latency is an immediate and essential need, then you may need to consider changing ISP (or running an Openreach connection as backup to VM).  But do your research first, don't just assume that there are no problems on Openreach's network around you.  And make sure you know how long to connect a new Openreach line.  I'd expect you to be able to get sense out of the smaller, well run ISPs (AAISP, Aquiss, CIX, IDNet, uno, Zen Internet) to questions, whereas the larger ISPs probably aren't geared up to worry about quality of the connection, and just want to wrap up the sale. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
chatmandu
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: High Latency/Ping - Yorkshire

Don't bother contacting support. Raise an official complaint and draw attention to their adverts that state you'll be able to 'game like a pro' with Virgin.

Web link is actually titled 'broadband for gamers' in their menu system:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/gamer

They also state that their packages are 'perfect for gamers'

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/deals

I'm experiencing a connection with a 1000ms maximum ping. That's clearly false advertising.
0 Kudos