cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Frequent Latency Spikes

crawley86
Tuning in

Hi there,

Since the start of winter I've been experiencing high latency spikes - most notable when gaming (rubber banding, error messages advising high latency). This happens on both Xbox Series X and PC. I currently have the Ultimate Oomph bundle with 600mbps connection. Right now I have Super Hub 3.0 running in Modem mode to a google home setup, with an Ethernet cable running from Hub 3 > Google Node > Ethernet Switch > PC and to Xbox. Speed tests are mostly fine.

When I ping google (by typing ping 8.8.8.8 -t) and monitoring it, every 7/8th ping is usually a big jump in latency (factor 10 or more). Lowest ping I see is ~14ms, I've seen as high at 300ms. I asked to terminate my contract at the end of my term in February, but when explaining the issue to the agent they convinced me to stay and that they would send an engineer to fix the issue. The engineer came to upgrade my services and noticed a fault on the line, he ordered a new cable pull from the cabinet to the house. This was completed early March, and you guessed it the issue is still prevalent. 

I've tried PC via Ethernet directly into Super Hub 3.0 running as a router, the issue is the same. Below is the BQM results. 

My BQM. 

It's really beginning to irritate me that whenever I speak to somebody at Virgin's call centre they just follow a script and palm me off to another department... the last connect was that they'd monitor my speed and be in touch within 3 days. This was over 10 days ago. Ticket ID: KMM76541261V97844L0KM.

Please, can somebody help?!

21 REPLIES 21

risc19
Well-informed

If it is anything like this...

https://youtu.be/ObE1hhOCQ74

Your area is oversubscribed. They have over sold and now have more traffic than the network can handle in your area.

Thats why you (and I) have nasty latency spikes during times of heavy traffic on the network.

Virgin won't consider this a fault unless it gets mega bad, hence the 'I can't find any faults' answer.

Other answer will include...

Turn it off and on again.

Are you using over wifi?

Try changing ethernet cables!

Try connecting just one device.

Try our gadget support service! (£90)

Tighten the cable on the back.

Your levels on the hub are fine so no point in having an engineer visit.

You have two options.

1. Wait for lock down to end and pray it fixes the latency.

2. Change internet providers.

Hi risc19,

Thanks for your prompt response. I was worried that might be the case - however I am now in contract until August '22 so changing ISP is not an option. I feel duped having been convinced to stay, that the issue would be fixed, and subsequently being signed into a new 18 month term for the problem to not be fixed. Hugely frustrating for an £80pm service!!

I know just how you feel.

Lies followed by fake promises.

My favourite is when they try to make you buy a higher speed connection making out that will fix things.

If you are having problems it will do nothing but give them more money.

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Crawley and welcome to our community.

What ethernet type are you using for the wired devices? Are the WiFi devices having issues on both 2.4 and 5 channels? 

Let us know, Emily.

Hi Emily,

I'm using Cat 5e cable directly into the router. The issue exists across Wireless and Ethernet. It also happens on all devices I can test the gaming on (Xbox & PC.).

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for confirming, checking on things we can see some upstream SNR errors so we've booked the next available engineer appointment using your forum information.

Please check the details of this and reschedule if needed on your online account. 

Thanks, Emily.

That's great, thank you!

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No problem, let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, Emily.

Hi Emily,

The engineer visited today, he found a fault at the cabinet and has passed the fault on to the networks team. However I don’t have the ability to track its progress. Are you able to see the ticket number? 

Thanks, Andrew