Menu
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Goodbye Virgin. It's been... errr... laggy.

@iiNSaNe93 wrote:

Thank you for the info there. We currently have the M350 package (350 down, 36 up) but we only ever get around 180 down and 2 up. It has been like that for a good 9 months at least. Along with the unbearable latency and now constant packet loss...

It has been narrowed down to over utilisation by some helpful people on here, I was just holding out in the hopes for a fix to keep the speed, but it doesn't look like that'll be happening any time soon. I just want to be able to live stream to twitch consistently which is impossible with a sub 5mbs upload speed.

I'll be giving Zen a call to get a set up booked in with them, I called to ask about speed to my address and was quoted ~72Mb/s down and ~19Mb/s up and we already have an Openreach socket as we used to have BT before so that's handy. 

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

I could be wrong, but I think your latency issues will be having a far more detrimental effect to your twitch streaming than your uploads speed. In my limited experience, a consistent connection with a steady upload is far more useable than an erratic connection with a higher potential speed. 

------------------------------------------------------------------

VM Forum Team - "It doesn't mean to say that you aren't having trouble, just that the official standpoint would be that no action is yet required."

0 Kudos
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@Aidanjalali wrote:

I am so envious you have the choice! Our only choice at our house is VM or 12mbps BT, which I'm genuinely considering switching to despite the big drop in speed. As soon as I have the option to move to any other reasonable speed broadband that isn't VM, I will be doing it!

I know it has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum, but have you considered having both? One connection for general use (VM), and one for better latency (insert ISP on Openreach here). For me, online gaming is an absolute priority, particularly during lockdown, and whilst is was a notable drop in speed, the benefits have far outweighed the drawbacks. 

VM Forum Team - "It doesn't mean to say that you aren't having trouble, just that the official standpoint would be that no action is yet required."

0 Kudos
hortonj88
Fibre optic
Message 33 of 34
Flag for a moderator

"VM today told me that it would be impossible to have VM & Zen both active in the same house at the same time too?"

That's not true, they're saying that to make you think you have no choice but to stay.

Zen and Virgin use different infrastructures and means of providing service.

Previously M200 (Left due to utilisation)

Now: BT FTTP 900/110 connected an ASUS RT-AC86U router.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/12098955842.png
0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thats basically what I do using a pfsense box with plenty of ethernet ports, then I just divide up the traffic accordingly 

Virgin media for gaming and other latency critical things - hence why im getting rid of VM and a 4g/LTE connection for streaming/downloads where having low latency isn't so much of a concern. Hopfully i'll be able to gain better LTE speeds soon when 5g towers get turned on in my area but at the moment its satisfactory.

This also gives me the benefit of a failover connection should either go down

0 Kudos