Menu
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Goodbye Virgin. It's been... errr... laggy.

So, as requested, here are BQM links for both connections I have running at my house currently - Zen and VM. Worth noting that the packet loss spike on the Zen graph was me rebooting the modem and fiddling with settings. Also worth noting that nothing in the house is actually using the VM connection now, so it's not even getting any "load" from our usage.

I hope that this proves to be informative for those people here struggling with ping woes. 

Zen BQM 09/02/21  55Mb/s Down, 17Mb/s Up

Pretty dull....

Virgin Media BQM 09/02/21  200Mb/s Down, 20Mb/s Up

Pretty colours....

Went and played a few games of Rocket League at about 5pm yesterday and again around 8pm. These are notoriously bad times for ping on my VM connection. On the Zen connection the experience was rock solid, constant 28ms ping and not a whiff of lag anywhere. 

If anyone is interested in Zen and wants more info, or a referral code, feel free to shoot me a PM.

------------------------------------------------------------------

VM Forum Team - "It doesn't mean to say that you aren't having trouble, just that the official standpoint would be that no action is yet required."

risc19
Rising star
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I would switch in a heartbeat, but I would only get an estimated 17mb download.

😞

My Broadband Ping - Gig1
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@CarlosOnDrums So, as requested, here are BQM links for both connections I have running at my house currently - Zen and VM

Thanks!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Gandi69
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I’ve also experienced huge latency variation when playing rocket league on my VM connection which makes the game unplayable.
I simply cannot wait to be rid of VM now

0 Kudos
iiNSaNe93
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@CarlosOnDrums With the Zen connection, what speeds were expected (Down and Up) and what are you actually getting? And how has the BQM been in the last 24 hours since you posted?

I think I'm going to be following what you have done to try to finally fix my connection for gaming & live streaming.

VM today told me that it would be impossible to have VM & Zen both active in the same house at the same time too?

Thanks in advance

My Broadband Ping - Virgin M350
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@iiNSaNe93 wrote:

<snip>   VM today told me that it would be impossible to have VM & Zen both active in the same house at the same time too?

Absolute nonsense, as VM and Zen use totally different infrastructure.  I have both VM and BT at present, with all gaming traffic routed via BT, all other traffic is load balanced over the two connections.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

@iiNSaNe93 wrote:

@CarlosOnDrums With the Zen connection, what speeds were expected (Down and Up) and what are you actually getting? And how has the BQM been in the last 24 hours since you posted?

The prediction they gave of ~55Mb/s down and ~18Mb/s up has been pretty bang on. I was anxious about dropping my speed so significantly, but I have not noticed any issues. Of course, downloading an update or game will take a little longer than with my VM connection, but having used the Zen connection for gaming and video conferencing over the last couple of days, I feel the trade off is worth it.

Here's my BQM for the last 24 hours. I don't understand why the latency suddenly dropped at 3am, but I'm not complaining. 

Zen BQM 11/02/21 

VM today told me that it would be impossible to have VM & Zen both active in the same house at the same time too?

Ahhhh, this is classic VM. Blatant fibs, unless you are currently getting your VM service down the phone line. What package are you on? 

As previously mentioned, Zen works on the BT Openreach network, Virgin have their own cable system installed in people's homes. 

VM Forum Team - "It doesn't mean to say that you aren't having trouble, just that the official standpoint would be that no action is yet required."

0 Kudos
CarlosOnDrums
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Speed test FYI

0 Kudos
iiNSaNe93
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the info there. We currently have the M350 package (350 down, 36 up) but we only ever get around 180 down and 2 up. It has been like that for a good 9 months at least. Along with the unbearable latency and now constant packet loss...

It has been narrowed down to over utilisation by some helpful people on here, I was just holding out in the hopes for a fix to keep the speed, but it doesn't look like that'll be happening any time soon. I just want to be able to live stream to twitch consistently which is impossible with a sub 5mbs upload speed.

I'll be giving Zen a call to get a set up booked in with them, I called to ask about speed to my address and was quoted ~72Mb/s down and ~19Mb/s up and we already have an Openreach socket as we used to have BT before so that's handy. 

I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

My Broadband Ping - Virgin M350
0 Kudos
Aidanjalali
On our wavelength
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I am so envious you have the choice! Our only choice at our house is VM or 12mbps BT, which I'm genuinely considering switching to despite the big drop in speed. As soon as I have the option to move to any other reasonable speed broadband that isn't VM, I will be doing it!

My Broadband Ping - My Virgin Media M4 connection
0 Kudos