cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming lag when more than one game being played online

br0wnbunny
Tuning in

Hi! I have a question - so we have a virgin hub 3.0 and 200mb package. Which should be good enough to handle 2 games and a stream at the same time at the least. Our ps5 is connected via ethernet direct to the router, and the laptop is on WiFi connection.

However, when I play a game such as League of Legends on the laptop on WiFi, it will slow down the connection considerably enough to adversely affect gameplay on the ps5 (such as Fifa). I have thought about limiting bandwidth to the connection to the laptop but in all honestly it makes no sense to me..as it should be handling it fine.. as well as the virgin router hub 3 has no QoS options.

What can we do about this?  The ps5 is definitely connecting through LAN and the game on the laptop being played on WiFi doesn't have any issues at all (aside from the random lag spike or when it decides to be connected to 2.4 instead of 5ghz randomly).

Is there anyway of getting an upgrade to the hub 4? Would this help?  We also have poor WiFi at the back of our 3 bed semi upstairs which isn't the main issue (well it will be when our little one wants to game in his bedroom when he's older!!)

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

13260000043.5512064 qam3
22580000042.3512064 qam4
33940000043.5512064 qam2
44620000043.5512064 qam1

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA00220
2ATDMA0020
3ATDMA0040
4ATDMA0040

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have a lot of T3 timeouts, which is not good, but your stats are okay.   

Try a full factory reset of  the Hub as below.  You will need to split the SSID again after this.

Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

Other than this, I'm out of ideas.  VM will need to check why the T3's are occurring.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi br0wnbunny,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've had some issues with your connection.

I've had a look at things from our side, and can see it's been some time since your hub was last rebooted. 

Can you follow the advice from Adduxi and let us know if this offers any improvement?

Alex_Rm

Reset the router the other day, and to be honest, we've tried a full factory reset before and it didn't improve anything.  Getting really annoyed tbh with this, ridiculous that we can't play at the same time without the lag on the ps5.  

Just an update, will be setting up a mesh system this weekend and hoping this fixes it.  Will report back Monday!