cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Lagging

Jo30
Tuning in

I’m having trouble with spikes in lag when gaming with PS4 to be precise, 500mb package. I got told a wifi intelligent pod would fix this which it hasn’t, I then received another one which I have plugged in by a cat6 Ethernet cable directly in to the ps4 and still am getting lag. Average speeds are about 100 download and 6 upload. Still not resolved and by phoning through no one has any idea… I have even opened ports up specifically for the ps4 and still no improvement 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

BQM shows a mediocre broadband connection - because cable internet has some peculiarities over a true FTTP connection, you'd expect the yellow fringing that you see between midnight and 10am all of the time.  The spikes in the afternoon and evening, those are not what you want to see, and might explain why you are experiencing a poor connection. That latency is between your hub and the Thinkbroadband test systems, so there's no wifi involved, this is a showing only the broadband connection quality, and in 99% of situations, any problems occur on the local Virgin Media network from your house to the equipment that sits at the head of the local network.

Because the connection overnight is good and consistent, and problems build through the afternoon and mid evening, I suspect that the cause is low level capacity problems on VM's local network.  In most situations like this VM will insist that by their data there is no problem.  And for them that is true - lots of customers, all paying their bills, Spectrum is Green!  For you it's not so good - VM have sold more contracts than their equipment can support, the impact is momentary queuing of data packets at the head of the local network, and that affects latency when the network is busy, giving you latency spikes that are poor for gaming (as well as affecting Teams and videos calls), yet VM will insist on their grandmother's grave that that there's no fault.

What can you do about it?  Nothing, I regret to say.  Complaining about capacity issues has been tried many times over the years and doesn't work.  Staff who work this forum have to abide by the Three Wise Monkeys rule that VM operate as policy, so I'd be surprised if they say there's a known problem, or that your BQM shows one.  And at the level observed I'll say that VM won't recognise a problem, and therefore won't do any of the often expensive and complex work to increase capacity.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Jo30
Tuning in

Bump

Hi Jo30,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing some issue with the connection whilst gaming.

I've had a look at things from our side and everything looks to be within the specifications we would expect.

Is the connection problem just whilst gaming?

Are you able to connect the device to the hub directly?

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting back to me, yes it only occurs during gaming.

I can’t connect directly to the hub due to the distance however the customer service team recommended to connect to the Wifi Pod through an Ethernet cable.

I’ve just ran a speed test and download is 104 and upload is 5.5, so speed is not the issue it’s more of a speed up lag like the ping is dropping out temporarily.

I have also tried wifi and still the same 

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Setup a BQM as that'll show what's going on with your VM connection.  Post a LINK to a LIVE, SHARED graph here and we'll see what's happening.  Usually needs to run for 24 hours before we can draw reasonable conclusions, but the live graph will continuously update so you can post the link immediately.

• Think I’ve done it correctly, I set up it last night as assumed that’s what they’ll ask for next 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/1a08e6181ffe131be72fe03d63477fb8b497cd20

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

BQM shows a mediocre broadband connection - because cable internet has some peculiarities over a true FTTP connection, you'd expect the yellow fringing that you see between midnight and 10am all of the time.  The spikes in the afternoon and evening, those are not what you want to see, and might explain why you are experiencing a poor connection. That latency is between your hub and the Thinkbroadband test systems, so there's no wifi involved, this is a showing only the broadband connection quality, and in 99% of situations, any problems occur on the local Virgin Media network from your house to the equipment that sits at the head of the local network.

Because the connection overnight is good and consistent, and problems build through the afternoon and mid evening, I suspect that the cause is low level capacity problems on VM's local network.  In most situations like this VM will insist that by their data there is no problem.  And for them that is true - lots of customers, all paying their bills, Spectrum is Green!  For you it's not so good - VM have sold more contracts than their equipment can support, the impact is momentary queuing of data packets at the head of the local network, and that affects latency when the network is busy, giving you latency spikes that are poor for gaming (as well as affecting Teams and videos calls), yet VM will insist on their grandmother's grave that that there's no fault.

What can you do about it?  Nothing, I regret to say.  Complaining about capacity issues has been tried many times over the years and doesn't work.  Staff who work this forum have to abide by the Three Wise Monkeys rule that VM operate as policy, so I'd be surprised if they say there's a known problem, or that your BQM shows one.  And at the level observed I'll say that VM won't recognise a problem, and therefore won't do any of the often expensive and complex work to increase capacity.

Thank you that’s much appreciated and makes sense yeah doesn’t help when working from home and gaming from time to time. I’ll see what they say but I guess if they can’t fix then I’ll have to switch to someone else 

Hi @Jo30

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the service issues you are having. 

I have taken a look at things from our side and I will need to arrange an engineer visit for you.

I will send you a private message to arrange this.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop me a reply when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi @Jo30

Thanks for confirming your details via private message.

I have arranged for the appointment and you can find all the information that you need about this  here virg.in/myVM  and clicking My Account and Track Your Order.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide