cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIX FOR PS4 LAG SPIKES - WORKING FOR MANY

KierBrook
On our wavelength

Okay so i have and lag spikes for a week myself and with no help form Virgin went to try and fix via trial and error. 

After a few hours i have a fix and have already had confirmed from various users on Twitter that this also works for them. 

Please see the guide below and let us know if it worked for you by commenting on here. 

Go onto your router settings. (The IP address by default is 192.168.0.1. If you want to use your own router and put the hub into modem mode then the internal address for the hub will change to 192.168.100.1)

Down the left hand side click on advanced settings. 

Then wireless

Then wireless signal

Now change the settings in here to exactly as shown in the attached photograph. IMG_20180811_123647.jpg

Change it all to match what i have there mate then apply changes then PS4 should log out of network by itself and resign in by itself a few moments later.

Mine was all set up to auto on the router settings and different channels but once i changed to all them settings PS4 lag spikes literally disappeared straight away and managed to get a gaming session all last night for around 4 hours no lag spikes at all

That's IT 

HOPEFULLY WORKS FOR YOU ALL AND LETS YOU ALL GET BACK ONLINE ASAP. LET US KNOW!

58 REPLIES 58

@Static wrote:
@RedGooner You owe that to your ASUS beasty. Having said that the hub 3 actually works fairly well once the wifi settings are manually altered, as experienced by many in this thread.

I do, but i only got it 6 months ago, i was on another ASUS router that was 5 years old, and still had no lag.

Your fix may work now, but give it time, and all will be moaning again. The SH was NEVER built with gaming in mind.

Also Sony missed a trick by only putting a 2.4GHz Wifi in it. The PS4 Pro has a way better Wifi in it.

Anyone thinking of buying a PS4 should ONLY go for the PRO, IMO.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

Ralph_R
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all,

Are the lag issues on the PS4 still ongoing?

In order for us to troubleshoot this further, It would be helpful if you could log into the Hub (192.168.0.1) re-enable the 'channel optimisation' option and confirm if the lag issues return.

If this is the case could you then please:

1. Select Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  2. Split 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz to different names
  3. Connect PS4 to the 5Ghz SSID

Keep ‘Enable Channel optimisation’ on.

Post back here and let us know if the latency issues have recovered or not.

Many thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

@Ralph_R The PS4 does NOT Support 5GHz wifi, only the PS4 Pro / Slim does.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 1Gbps VM service with SH4 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS GT-AX6000 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?

As much as i'd love to try this, I can't even sign into the superhub to try to change the settings **bleep** lol

I know the credentials are correct because when I purposely put in incorrect ones I get an error message. When I put in the correct password it just does nothing.

All feels like a bad prank

I didn't have faith in it being fixed anytime soon and I couldn't even log into the superhub's settings to try to tinker around because it was bugging. In my frustration I bought a new router to connect to the superhub and run all of my devices, including PS4, from that.

My PS4 connection test speed has gone from ~4mps to ~40mbps, and my macbook's wifi from 20 mbps to 112 mbps.

Packet loss via the new router is consistent 0% while gaming and ping went from around 40ms to 11ms. Its a shame it resorted to this but its a good fix if anyone doesn't want to wait and can afford it. I bought the TP Link AC1750 Archer C7

Hi Kits

Glad you got it sorted mate.

What upload speed you getting on ps4?

I also bought a router today but my upload speed still 300-600 kbs.

ill have to check again properly tomorrow but it wasn't kbps. I think around 10 mbps.

I am using a passthrough powerline adapter with it though

On my Hub 3 settings, i don’t have the Smart Wifi option. Why is this? I’m on the latest firmware. 

I am using the old chunky ps4 and am having constant lagging when playing online at home. At my partners house im having the same issues and we had virgin installed last week using the 3.0 hub but her sons slim ps4 seems to be working fine so im rather confused.

Is there something I can do as I read the older ps4 don't support the 5ghz output

Someone please help as im trying to play fifa 19 and its impossible.....

James_W
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi

We’re aware of an issue affecting some customers using a WiFi connection on our Hub 3.0 router while gaming online. We apologise for any frustration and inconvenience caused.

We’ve identified the problem and a fix will be rolled out by tomorrow morning (Saturday 29 September). No action will need to be taken by yourselves.

The problem is caused by a WiFi channel testing feature on the Hub 3.0. A technical issue occurring during this test may result in greater lag when playing games online. Other online activity is unaffected.

Best wishes,

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide