I have been with virgin for years and, overall, I'm pleased with the service. One thing that is really grinding on me though is when I'm getting randomly disconnected from games, most notably Diablo 3 and World of Warcraft. With the launch of woW classic these disconnections have been particularly bothersome because of the server queues. As my boyfriend and I play on the same hub, when both of us get disconnected only 1 person has queue protection and the other is forced to sit in a 4-5 hour queue to play again.
I contacted Blizzard as perhaps it was an issue on their side. After sending my MSInfo, DXDiag data and WinMTR reports, they concluded that the problem was from my ISP's side. Here is the response that I got from them:
I had a look at the WinMTRs provided and so far we can see packet losses on the 3rd node of the connection. Packet losses can be the cause of disconnections and, considering how the connection works, the issues have to be sorted from the very first problematic node (as the rest is just cascading from that point onward). The 3rd node in question is still handled by your provider, so you should simply get in touch with your ISP and mention to them that there are possible problems on the specific node (you can provide the exact node name by looking at your own WinMTR files).
renf-core-2b-xe-901-0.network.virginmedia.net is the 3rd node in which they are speaking of.
Is anyone else having these issues? Has anyone managed to fix these issues?
And more importantly, can anyone educate me a bit on 'nodes'? I don't want to phone up customer services and just be told "oh no, there's no problem that we can see. Bye!" as I have been told in the past.
With my bill going up by £5 a month, I'd really like to get this sorted. Failing that, it might be time to try sky afterall....
Basically how it works is when you are playing WoW for example you send a packet of data from your PC, through your superhub, through your UBR (Universal Bridge Router) then onto each node, a node is like a bus stop where your packet of data passes through to reach it's final destination being Blizzard servers.
However if the 3rd node as you have been told is showing packet loss regularly then that would cause a lot of connection problems along the line after the 3rd node no matter if they have no problems at all.
The 3rd node appears to be the Renfrew UBR which I believe is in barrhead.
No, I'm still having the same issue. I contacted Virgin Media via the messenger and was told that everything looks okay from their side, however I have tried everything from my end. I truly think there is a fault with the superhub causing packet loss (I read somewhere that it can cause that), but was told because my speeds match the package that I'm on my superhub is fine...
I have been having the exact same problem. Had no issues at a friends house. Brought my machine home and constant disconnects. Tried all of the wow support no joy. I just downloaded a trial of a VPN and so far I have had no disconnects! it is definitely something to do with Virgin's connection to blizzard. Is there anything that can be done as I am not paying £10 a month for a VPN to play a game.
Huh, never thought about using a VPN before. It'll be interesting to see what Virgin Media's response to that one is, because surely that's proof that it definitely is something on their end. Like you, though, I refuse to pay monthly for a VPN so that the service that I'm already paying loads for (and the bill goes up this month by £5!!!) will work properly.