Menu
J3ENNETT
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Disconnecting from Servers

Hello

For the last couple of months I am randomly being booted from servers on various games (FIFA, Gears 5, COD, The Division) on both consoles (Xbox one and PS4). 

I am using a wired connection

I have tried WiFi and it makes no difference

Experiencing it recently on my PS4 suggests it is not the console that is to blame.

I have reset the router several times.

I have tried different ports.

I have tested the Ethernet cables (they light up green on all ports)

I've hard reset the consoles

Netflix and game downloads work perfectly. It is literally just online gaming / servers that are the issue here.

Please can someone help me. I have just renewed my virgin contact and I'm within my cancellation policy so if it doesn't get sorted soon I will be off to someone else.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disconnecting from Servers

The fault is with the SH3, a cheap and useless router given away free by VM. Its not fit for purpose for gaming. VM have known this for the last 3 years. Its been said in this forum so many times now.

The SH3 is a basic router ideal for Web surfing, and streaming, no useless for gaming.

I game with the SH3 in modem mode, and my own router, and I don't have any issues. My PC is wired, my PS4Pro is wireless, all work great.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
J3ENNETT
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok I have heard this story a lot but I'm sick of spending money on gear that doesn't work. If this is definitely the case then what's the cheapest best router? I don't know much about them.

Whilst were at it as well, the WiFi isn't great as I live in a large house. I don't blame virgin for that but if a lot of money needs to be spent then I'd rather improve 2 issues than 1

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Before spending any money, try one of your consoles connected to the hub in modem mode:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode

If you get a stable connection then the issue is indeed the hub's router mode.  If not then there might be an issue with your connection that a new router won't fix.  Try it and let us know how you get on.

Some folks on here are quick to bash the Hub 3.  I know it isn't perfect and while I personally use mine in modem mode there are plenty of people using it just fine for gaming, including some of my fellow Superusers.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
J3ENNETT
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok I will try that first. If it is stable then can I not just keep it in modem mode without buying a router? Or does it mean the WiFi won't work?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

In modem mode you can only connect one device via Ethernet.  If modem mode works then you would need another router to get WiFi and connect additional wired devices.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out.
My setup: V6 TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
J3ENNETT
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

So far so good. Xbox worked okay for 2 hours this morning in modem mode. Went and picked up a TP Link C7 for £70. I've set it up but haven't used it much. I'll see what happens

RedGooner
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to Online gaming on VM.

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk.
0 Kudos