Menu
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 51 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bitrate is going down when streaming causing lag

Unfortunately I haven't, I have been testing since March, (This has been happening since March) people say it could be because of Covid and everyone being at home but I don't buy it personally. My tests show packetloss coming from Virgin Media when I test a Twitch server but VM fail to respond to any of my posts. I honestly think it's a waste of time, but I can't switch providers at the moment. Will say that it seems worse for me in the evening (ironically the only time I can stream), when I run a test in the morning it does not seem as bad but I have yet to do a stream test in the morning. If you guys haven't already run Tracert in command prompt if you use Windows, Then type ping and type in each of the ip adresses you see from Tracert to see if any of them come back with request failed. If you do, then you know where the problem is coming from.

0 Kudos
CAI
Joining in
Message 52 of 60
Flag for a moderator

You won't be able to ping every single device from a tracert. Some network devices are specifically setup not to respond to ping commands from a client or external IP. 

However a tracert can help track down some links within the Virgin Media network that might be an issue. I had similar issues with BT at a different property and the fix was completely changing my network path. Most likely to a less congested network line. 

Sadly, I've started having my own ping spikes and packet loss issues with Virgin Media and reading the comments from these forums doesn't give me much hope that this will be resolved 😞 

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media Lag Spikes
0 Kudos
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 53 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Update: I streamed today for 2 hours, and it was the first stream in months that did not drop any frames. I did nothing different so it was probably just a fluke, who knows.

0 Kudos
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 54 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Update 30/10/20: I haven't stream yet and my test is coming up with stupid amounts of packetloss. Seriously come on Virgin! I'm not the only one suffering here! how can you not know what's happening.14% packetloss!14% packetloss!

0 Kudos
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 55 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Here is yet another test that is probably falling on death ears.... I ping the Virgin Media address and got packetloss. My test is currently showing 15% across everything, it was 30% at first the worst it has ever been.Packet lossPacket loss

0 Kudos
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 56 of 60
Flag for a moderator

So Friday seems to be the worse for me, maybe because more people are on the internet?. I've also heard some people say they have a wire under the ground that's causing issues... I dunno anymore.. and clearly niether does Virgin Media.12 % packetloss 8PM12 % packetloss 8PM

0 Kudos
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 57 of 60
Flag for a moderator

BQM on Friday 13th:BQM.png

0 Kudos
GBUKjai
Joining in
Message 58 of 60
Flag for a moderator

Update: Can confirm, my neighbour who lives next door has similar connections issues with Virgin Media and he's switch to SKY. Going to look at possible doing the same or some other ISP because if this can't be fixed, then why should I continue to pay for BROKEN internet?.

0 Kudos
JaniOliveira
On our wavelength
Message 59 of 60
Flag for a moderator

I'm streaming and having the same issues.
Virgin is not delivering the advertised upload speed. My plan is M200 and I'm supposed to get 20-21Mbps upstream, right now I'm sitting under 3Mbps.
The response I got was there is too many people in my area so there is nothing to be done...

0 Kudos
UtopiaOpera
On our wavelength
Message 60 of 60
Flag for a moderator

They mean they sold the service to too many people and over-burdened their service, because, f-you, we won't more money.
0 Kudos