Menu
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 1 of 237
Flag for a moderator

A very SERIOUS issue with VM - spread the word

Please bear in mind this is being posted after hours speaking to VM's so called 'tech support' and a very long attendance by a very, very professional engineer.

Some brief details:

Problem Overview
If you monitor your outbound connections (and to do this I suggest using a very high bitrate with continual network activity for sustained periods - so try live streaming for example to Mixer/Twitch) you will see consistent speed drops to as low as 0kbps for up to 1s at consistent intervals - typically every 5 minutes.
You may see this manifest in other ways without the above testing - for example when watching Netflix. Not only is your upload dropped but so is your download speed.
Essentially consistent maintained network drops at periodic intervals that are regular in timings during certain periods of the day.

What do we know so far?
Well we've tested this on several VM networks but I'll use my own personal one for now. We've placed the SH3.0 on modem mode, disconnected all ethernet leads bar one (we have also tried 5 cables ranging from cat5 - cat7) and used that connection to test on 4 different PC's. Two of those PC's have been brought in from elsewhere so lets consider some serious random software across the test bench. We've also tested a literally built from scratch W10 i77700K/GTX1080Ti with a fresh install with an Asus TUF Z270 mobo - all drivers and new W10 Pro installation from the ground up.

VM Phone Support
Essentially 4 x calls with little more than a repeated insistence on signing up for a monthly contract for a WiFi booster (despite the above info regarding cabling) amounting to approximately 9+ hours of wasted time for customer and said service.

VM Engineer Support
Almost impossible to get this but we did. He was amazing. One of the most professional and respectful gentleman I've met with years of VM support.
Everything was tested, faults were indeed found (tap panel etc.) all done, all tested, all perfect. In fact in his own words 'looking beautiful'.

So the issue?
The problem persists but no-one seems to be acknowledging it on these boards. I am reading thread after thread and it all amounts to the same intermittent (but only in that the issue manifests itself for some networks during certain hours) dropped connections.

Let's get crazy!
Well we can try static IP's, we can disable IPv6, we can change DHCP leases, we can laugh at Puma firmware, we can flush DNS, we can literally repeat the same issue on ANY device connected to VM once we find that window of sporadic connectivity. We'll get told to post the same SH3.0 info time and time again, along with BQM charts all despite power signals, T1 TO's and post RS errors all being close to perfect.

What is next?
Someone at VM needs to start looking into this. It is a HUGE issue and it is affecting so many folks but in so many different ways that it is getting overlooked somehow. There is a SERIOUS issue with connectivity and I for one would be happy to sit down with someone for as long as it takes to resolve this once and for all.

Can someone PLEASE start looking into this?

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Re: A very SERIOUS issue with VM - spread the word

Just to play devils advocate, look at WHAT exactly?

Where are the metrics showing the issue you are having?

If its JUST streaming to TWITCH, what evidence can you provide to support the assertion that its VM?

Ill cheerfully escalate this for you, but we need something to work with...

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Someone at VM needs to start looking into this. It is a HUGE issue

I'm no defender of VM, a company with more faults than I can be bothered to list, despite some excellent UK based staff.  And I'm not specifically disputing your hypothesis.  But all I can say in response to that hypothesis is that it isn't showing up in weeks of up time on my BQM.

If you're really concerned about this issue (eg as a very, very competent gamer), then you need to move to a good Openreach ISP.  As a game you don't need the high bandwidth that is VM's only real distinguishing characteristic.  VDSL has slightly lower minimum latency, and usually doesn't have the spiking associated with DOCSIS.  If you select the right ISP (ie none of the big ones) then you'd have access to competent UK based tech support that understand the technology and the issues of provisioning.  And you can get a good gaming/Twitch connection over Openreach much cheaper than VM's undiscounted prices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 4 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies, 

This has nothing to do with Twitch. The network drops happen regardless of whether or not the stream is running and for example will manifest itself on Netflix as a sudden and massive resolution drop and possible even buffering before resuming as normal. In multiplayer games on a PS4 and Xbox One you will either see a huge lag spike and/or possible server disconnect. It is just a lot easier to track this with large outbound data files. I really don't know what else I can tell you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 5 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andruser, 

You'd actually be surprised how many streamers use VM for Twitch/Mixer/YT streaming. They offer a very good plan for full home use (including TV/BB/Phones) and the service for many of us has been flawless in this regard for years. Fantastic and extremely stable connections on any day to 70-80% of the European ingest servers. In fact many of us use VM for this very reason. The problems currently being experienced commenced intermittently a few weeks back and appears to be getting worse during specific periods of the day.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 237
Flag for a moderator

No problems gaming or watching Netflix/streaming services on any VM connection i've ever used.

You'll need to provide some evidence for the problem to be identified. So far you are describing a possible local fault or even your own network gear as a possible fault.

Need more details

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 237
Flag for a moderator

@Grumbul wrote:

Hi Kippies, 

This has nothing to do with Twitch. The network drops happen regardless of whether or not the stream is running and for example will manifest itself on Netflix as a sudden and massive resolution drop and possible even buffering before resuming as normal. In multiplayer games on a PS4 and Xbox One you will either see a huge lag spike and/or possible server disconnect. It is just a lot easier to track this with large outbound data files. I really don't know what else I can tell you.

Which is why I asked the question. The initial post reads like its ONLY an issue with outbound connections, at sustained high levels.

Unfortunately that drives us further down your rabbit hole, as VM do most definitely NOT have an issue nationally with anything approximating what you are saying. That everyone's connection drops once every 5 minutes.

SO we get back to as above- provide the usual metrics, THEN we can help diagnose what's going on.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 8 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Thanks apcberax,

I am very glad you are not seeing the issues, as I have said this seems to be intermittent but hitting at specific times. Not sure what streaming services you are using of course. This is not something you are necessarily going to pick-up on with basic browsing for example.

What evidence would you like to see? Happy to try to provide it. If you monitor your network traffic like I am maybe you might see something? VM tech has been out and tested the signal etc. and all seems good.

Today I had a brand new laptop delivered to test this (yet more expense) and with nothing else connected at all - we were able to repeat the dropped connection after 4.30pm this afternoon. From 10.45am through to 4.30pm everything was fine. As I type - the same issue is occurring.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 9 of 237
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies, 

We've already danced this dance as you know but lets do it again as requested. What exactly do you want to see? We know the normal logs are not showing anything and we know this is intermittent but repeating on a daily basis so you let me know what you want and I'll happily post it up for you.

0 Kudos
Up to speed
Message 10 of 237
Flag for a moderator

wtf_1.png

0 Kudos